Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Yogalates

After all the prodding on email, I had to eat my words -- Maan, Dante's definitely better half -- decided that yes, she'll spend some time teaching us -- Mama Ting's brood -- yoga and pilates -- "to strengthen our core" and just get these hard and inflexible bodies supple again!!

Being the mom that she is, Mama Ting organized the first Yogalates session yesterday at the Valle Verde Country Club at 6:30pm. It was supposed to be 45 minutes of yoga and 30 minutes of pilates. I was actually excited as I knew my body needed a stretching boost -- ain't no spring chicken anymore and stretching will, hopefully, ease some of the aches and pains the body is undergoing these days.

I was running late -- had to go home, change and pick up my gear -- bought a new yoga mat last week. (Unfortunately, I didn't know I was supposed to wash it first -- found later when instead of being sticky, it was slippery all over the place.) By the time I arrived, I was probably 20 minutes late! I went inside Valle Verde and went looking for the group and saw them in between the swimming pool and badminton areas. And surprise, surprise!!! I was the only thorn among the roses!!! he! he! I was told Rico couldn't make it that Monday and Ed would follow from his office. So -- there I was was, the only male among the shapely females, ready to do my yoga poses!!

I knew it was not going to be easy -- but I never realized how difficult the poses were. Pretty soon, just into the first pose -- with a lot of coaching from Coach Maan -- I was sweating buckets!!! My body could still handle the poses, albeit not the full stretch but I was told to go only as far as I could -- but, boy, I never realized I had so much stored in my sweat glands!!

We went through several routines for over an hour and a half. I didn't realize that my body temperature was soaring despite the buckets of perspiration -- at one point, both Maan and Ting observed that I was actually steaming!! Hmm -- an outdoor steam bath, all internally generated!

I could definitely feel the stretches and the effect on my "core". I was wondering when all of these was going to end!!! ha! ha! Thank god we finally ended a little after 8pm.

Guess you guys must be thinking -- what a wimp!! What can I say, flexibility is not one of my assets. But, I'm coming back for more -- even if I did feel drained after the session. I had to rehydrate myself quickly and fuel up. I was going to rush to Makati to fetch my wife, Mara, but she called me while I was on the way that I wasn't needed anymore. So, thankfully, I went back home and collapsed on the sofa while waiting for dinner to be served.

All in all, it was a good workout -- actually a good workout day -- I had a good circuit training session in the morning at the gym and a good yogalates session at night. I was looking forward to a good night's sleep. I need it as I have to wake up early for a videocon with San Francisco at 6am, Manila time.

I guess you get what you asked for --- and more!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooked into getting fit ha. I just have videos on pilates exercises. I use it if ever I dont get to run. But this is better since you get to do it with a group which make it more fun. Just control you giggles when doing tough yoga positions to keep your balance. Maybe that's why yoga is not for me. I got funny bones all over.

Johnny Sy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Johnny Sy said...

Ha! ha! I was concentrating more on keeping my balance on one foot and on keeping the sweat away from my face. I guess the tradeoff here is that I get to work on the stretches -- I can feel how taut my muscles are now -- you just feel it while bending over or doing some small stuff and it doesn't feel right. Maybe you can join us in the future -- he! he! funny bones or not -- I'll let you know how our schedules work out when I return from my trip.

Anonymous said...

hi J! yoga and pilates ... really great for crosstraining. its my personal favorite xtrain, least painful. hehehe hope you stick with it.

btw, thanks for putting me in your blogroll.

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Bards! My pleasure!! At least I know I'm not the only one getting into yoga and pilates -- although, what am I saying -- it's only 1 session!! But, I'm determined to pursue -- even if I can't bend as all those shapely women that I'm with. I'm way past feeling conscious -- I'd rather get physically better and feeling it too! ha! ha!

Nora, the golden girl said...

I admire your determination, Johnny! Indeed, life begins at 50 and you have definitely proven it. Keep it up. I bet your whole body must be aching now but don't get discouraged. After probably 50 sessions, all the pain will be gone (heh heh heh). Seriously though, have you tried Power joints? It worked for me. Maybe it will work for you too.
Go, Johnny go, go . . .

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Nora!! Ever since I started my path to fitness, pain seems to be constant companion!! he! he! I take glucosamine chondrotin supplements -- I believe these are the same key ingredients in power joints. The joints are a bit better with these but my muscles are still taut -- kaya kailangan mag-stretching. I have some of the stretches at the gym but I think yoga and pilates will probably deliver more results in the long run. Kaunting tiis pa!! he! he!