Monday, July 14, 2008

Running at the San Francisco Marathon -- 5K race only


It's official -- I finished my online registration today and had my credit card info captured to official enter myself in the 5K run of the San Francisco Marathon this coming August 3, 2008!!!

It was the suggestion of SFRUNNER that I join the race after commenting that I felt pangs of jealousy for him and the other Pinoy runners like BALD RUNNER who are participating in the race but that I wasn't ready to run anything beyond a 5K race even if I was going to be in San Francisco on August 3. He said the magic words -- there is a 5K race outside of the half-marathons and full marathon!!!

I was hesitant at first. There was the issue of collecting the race packet -- I was flying into SFO in the evening of August 2 from Boston. This was resolved by the website stating that although there won't be any race packet distribution on race day -- there is an exception for the 5K race!! 2nd issue was whether the course would be daunting -- even it is a 5K race. My mind still pictures old TV shows about the Streets of San Francisco and its notorious hills!!!

But, my Run Ma Ting kept prodding me and encouraging me -- it's a fantastic opportunity and experience!!!

And so, making up my mind after yesterday's La Salle race, I decided I will register today -- it's done -- no refund!!! I will collect my race packet on race day and hope I'm not parked too far away from the Embarcadero so that I can keep the rest of the stuff in my car.

Now that means I can't slacken my preparations -- gotta make some hill runs to prepare for the event. Too bad I'm not ready for the half-marathon -- it would have been interesting racing across the Golden Gate Bridge!!

7 comments:

Jinoe said...

Wow. Goodluck on your run. I wish to join international races as well. I hope to run the Singapore Marathon on December or the Hongkong Marathon on February. Or maybe, wait off until the wedding for economic reasons. Hehehe. Enjoy

Johnny Sy said...

Thanks Jinoe -- I was lucky enough to have a business trip coinciding with the event. I am hoping to run more international races as well. Maybe you can have your honeymoon at one of these events -- or pre-wedding trip or maybe pre-wedding honeymoon -- he! he! Sana your wishes come true!!

Nora, the golden girl said...

Lucky for you! Good luck, Johnny! Give my regards to SFrunner. Abangan ko na lang ang pictures nyo...

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Nora. Thanks. Will try to hook with SFrunner and Bald Runner. I've been seeing Bald Runner's tarps at the race events but haven't had the chance to actually meet him yet. In fact, I haven't met the other blogger runners as well. One day! Hopefully, there will be plenty of pictures to be posted in the blog.

Anonymous said...

Johnny, you'll get a chance to run under one bridge (twice) during the 5K. The San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge will appear as you're heading for AT&T Park (3K) and then as you head to the finish.

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Wayne, I'm looking forward to it. I'm currently debating on running to finish in good time or running as a tourist, enjoying the sights and possibly capturing the moments in photos!! he! he! That might mean a 5K of 1 hour!!! Whatever happens, I'm sure it's going to be quite an experience!

Anonymous said...

Can I say INGGIT ako?! Wow! Good luck and I am absolutely sure you'll have a fantastic time.

I read somewhere for US races, it is good to put your name on your bib or have it printed at the back or front of your shirt because spectators love to cheer you on especially if they see your name! Wouldn't it be great to hear "Go Johnny Go!"?

Or have a small Philippine flag patched on your shirt, proudly representing Pinas!

I will do the Phil flag patch when I join the Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon this December. You might want to sign up for that too, July 21 is the start of registration at www.singaporemarathon.com

Good luck and enjoy!