Monday, July 28, 2008

Boston - A City of Runners

On our first exploration day around the campus of M.I.T., and around the cities of Cambridge and Boston, I noticed that there seems to be runners all over the place. I guess being a Sunday, the level of running activity was not too unusual. And being the home of the famous Boston Marathon, one can expect that running is a part of the cultural fabric of the area.

I didn't think about it much but it seem like everywhere I went, I would see runners. As we were concluding our tour of the M.I.T. campus, I noticed a huge body of water in the distance and I saw sails. It turned out to be the Charles River, which separates Boston from Cambridge and Charlestown.

A row of boats parked along the Charles River bank -- the center area is probably boat mooring and where the Petrol Station is located.

There was another row of sail boats -- probably for hire.

It was a nice day for sailing and these guys are taking advantage of this!

A view along the running/biking trail and the skyline downtown Boston in the distance.


There is a nice trailway -- both cemented and not -- along the river banks. You'll see boats all over -- a number of them actually sailing. We even saw a petrol station -- filling up the boats!

Fill 'er up!! Gas for the boats!

And when you're in trouble, you can be sure the paramedics will also be in the water!

But there were runners and bikers all over the place. I didn't get a chance to start shooting pictures of runners until much later -- an afterthought really. It just hit me that there were so many runners -- along the river banks, in the campus, along the streets, up the bridge, etc.




So many runners! Everywhere!

I just felt at home -- actually envious that I wasn't running with them. I thought about going to the area to run tomorrow -- but, it is quite a long walk away from the hotel. Anyway, I might actually do this if it doesn't rain in the mornings sometime later in the week.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! kainggit! especially since those US cities have nice parks where people can run. Good luck this Sunday! Extend my regards to BR and wayne if you see them :D

- loonyrunner

Nora, the golden girl said...

Nice shots, Johnny. The pictures make me dream of running the Boston Marathon!

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Loony --yep, the nice parks are really assets of this city -- probably the reason why people actually go out and run -- and I forgot to include that it was around 11am when I was taking the pictures!! I'll make sure to extend your regards to Wayne and BR.

Hi Nora -- another objective -- di lang dream. One of these days you'll make it!

Anonymous said...

Ah, it stopped raining Johnny. Now you get a chance to run in the area.

If you have a chance, check out Boylston Street. That's where the Boston Marathon ends right near the library. I've seen the finish line twice.

I'll see you soon!

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Wayne -- don't rub it in!! he! he! I know, someday, I'll aspire for the great Boston Marathon -- I just have to have hope.

It was a nice day this morning so I went on a run along the Charles River Bank. I took the route across the Harvard Bridge onto the other side until Longfellow Bridge. Unfortunately, because of my unfamiliarity with the place, I made some worng turns but still ended up the bridge. Too bad the bridge stumped me and I had to walk my way back to the hotel. Oh well -- it's my first try. Will try again Thursday.