Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Runners' Blogs

When I made my first entry into this blogspace, I thought it would be a lonely trek through cyberspace. My goal was just to document the small steps I'm taking to nurse myself back to physical fitness. When you get to 50 and you really feel the sluggishness, you start to panic -- you don't want to leave this life before your kids are prepared!!! It was a wake-up call and quite a big motivation to get my life sorted out.

During the past few weeks as I got my running mates to help me populate these pages, I've also discovered so many runners doing the same thing -- amazingly, there is an abundance of talent and creativity out there. I guess this "blogging" thing really is the answer to all the repressed litarary urges out there. You get to say what you want to say, publish what you want to publish and people actually read and contribute. You learn from the community, share the pain and anguish of the trials, missteps and steep climbs but you also feel the twinkle in your eyes when you read about some of the humor and love stories.

Cyber publishing -- what a phenomenon!! But even more remarkable is the fact that it is the global running community that is writing!! I just discovered SFRunner and his stories are quite fascinating.

It's like one big DVD with special features -- a virtual behind-the-scenes collection -- the race or the event is the main feature but you get to read about each race from an individual perspective, each grunt, each step, each pain and each triumph!! You feel the emotion with each word, from different runners.

I took the liberty of linking up some of the Runners' Blogs that I've visited recently on the right side of this page. Blogging is really cool -- but being able to read about what other runners are doing as soon as they write them -- that's priceless!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Johnny. Thanks very much for the comments.

All of us are happy to see you running. Coming off the type of injury takes a long time. However, you're doing it and in the right way. Doing this since May is indeed an inspiration to all of us!

This may be a biased statement, but runners / triathletes have more of a camradrie amongst the participants than any other sport. All of us learn from each other. Whether it's a run, or training session or the right apparel or shoes, we learn from it.

Today, though I'm still active, I want to even give more back to the sport than ever. I owe it to the running community whereever. Blogging has been a part of it!

Want to say that it's great that your running mates helped you in starting up your blogging. Continue success. Hope to see you in SF (if you can, contact me before you leave please!) - Wayne

Anonymous said...

yup, I am also a reader of sfrunner's blogs. :)