Monday, July 7, 2008

Tik:Takbo 6K Run - July 6

One would think that adding 1 kilometer to a run shouldn't be such a big deal. That's when an inexperienced runner like me falls into the trap of assuming it would be a relatively easy run!!

July 6 is the day -- it's my third race for the year. It's my first time to run at U.P. Diliman and it's my first time to run a 6K race. Today is the Tik:Takbo - Oras nang Tumakbo run organized by the UPJPIA.

Things didn't go quite as planned. For starters, I was supposed to sleep early. I managed to get a golf game in Saturday morning -- a quick 18-hole round at Valley Golf's Executive Course. I didn't play the other week because I wanted to be fresh for the Mizuno Rush to Infinity Run last Sunday. So, I was craving to get back on the golf course. Running is definitely one of my health priorities but golf is still one of my passions in life. I did okay -- scored a 92.

I felt I was tired enough in the evening to get to sleep early. By 11pm I was fast asleep but I was awakened around 1am when my wife came home after fetching my son Brian from his classmate's place -- they had to finish a school project. Unfortunately, I somehow woke up alert!! I couldn't get back to sleep. I ended up reading a book until 3am. Went back to sleep and woke up at 4:30 to prepare for the run. So much for staying fresh.

I drove to U.P. around 5:15 and went to look for the meeting place that Ting mentioned -- where the U.P. Theater was located. I remember that place because my son danced in a UP Street Dance competition last year in the same place. I thought I could turn left when I reach the oblation but the roads were rerouted for the race -- one way right turn. As such, I ended up driving a long way to the back of the U.P. Theater.

I arrived early but just in time to see a familiar face -- Mike Navarette, co-Lasallian and my ex-colleague at ABS-CBN. In a few minutes, other friends arrived -- Jorge Buenaventura and his cousin, Citos, plus Dave de Leon. Ting pulled in a few minutes later with her daughter, Isabella, nickname Boo, who is only 4 years old but is joining the 2K race for kids.




Little Boo on a "training wheels" run!!! Ting is starting her daughter off early -- Might be the next Olympic Gold Medal winner for the Marathon!

A proud "Run Ma" Ting with her daughter Boo -- you can never start them too young!

We went looking for the starting line. Our gang observed that there seem to be fewer racers. There was another race that same day -- the Manila Half-Marathon Challenge. So I assume a lot of serious runners will be in the other race. But, alas, another reason why there seemed to be so few of us was that we were in the wrong place!!! Ha!! It turned out we were on the opposite side of the campus -- the Start/Finish line was in the other road, in front of Palma Hall!! And I thought that being a U.P. alumnae, Ting would know! he! he!

Anyway, off we went towards the Starting Line -- I guess it was a good warm up!!

We saw Dante and Rico at the Starting Line, including the rest of Team Bayantrade. I was surprised to see a number of familiar faces -- Toni Favis from ABS-CBN's Systems and Methods, who was with her La Salle MBA classmates, Ellen Cayanan and her beau, Bong Zandueta, and Norman Macasaet, a ex-colleague of mine from IBM, with this wife. Norman commented that today, running is the new badminton!! He is so right -- badminton was the craze about 2 years ago and now the sport of running is seeing a popular resurgence.


Dante, me and Rico -- getting ready for the start of the race! Still looking fresh with our neat runner's attire.


Dante, Rico, Ting, Boo and me with the rest of the BayanTrade Running Club

There were three races -- 18K, 6K and 2K for kids. The 18K runners were the first off. Us 6K runners got off around 10 minutes later. It was cute seeing the kids behind us getting ready for their 2K run.

Finally, it was our turn to run. My strategy was simple -- run at a good enough pace to finish the race without walking. I started at a relatively easy pace -- one by one my friends started leaving me behind -- I saw Jorge, Mike and Dante moving ahead of me. The terrain in U.P. was like a sine wave -- you get dips and you get peaks!!! Although the peaks weren't as difficult as Fort Bonifacio. We went through an outer loop behind the various college buildings and finished in the inner loop.

There were plenty of water stations. This time I took sips at several stations. I still have to learn how to drink while running. It is quite difficult swallowing or even taking sips. A number of times water went into my nose!!! Such an amateur!! he! he!

Towards the last 2Kms., we were in the inner loop. I started picking up the pace -- thought that end of the race would be at the end of the 1st loop -- of course not!!! So, the last Km. was another mental struggle -- 6K kasi!!! It was difficult keeping myself from succumbing to the temptation of stopping and walking. I was counting every 10 strides -- finally, I reached the finish line!!! My watch showed 39.38 minutes. A bit slower than I thought I should run but, what the heck!!, I finished without walking!!!


A contented finisher -- Ting needs a little bit more experience handling her camera phone! Or maybe it's that big guy's fault -- he should be watching where is walking!

Of course my friends did better -- Rico was a sub-30-minuter for his 6K. Dante, Jorge, Dave and Mike all did better than 35 minutes. Good thing I met Jorge's cousin -- Citos -- at least I did better than him!! Sorry Citos.

After the race, we went to Chocolate Kiss at U.P. Bahay ng Alumni, at the back of the U.P. Theater for breakfast. I couldn't help it -- after a hard run, it was Vigan Longganisa, friend rice, egg and coffee -- breakfast for a weekend warrior!! The others, well, some went for equally nutritious and sinful fare, while some went for a slightly heathier selection. Me, I felt I needed a small reward -- it was, afterall, 6K! he! he!

Next week -- It's the One Run, One Family, One La Salle race!! The race I've been preparing for all these weeks. I'm glad I didn't enter the 16K race -- I'm just not prepared. 5K -- looks like I'm ready. I'll do maybe two more training runs this week. Hopefully, I'll bring my V02 max high enough to finish below 30 minutes. Tall order but might as well go all out!!

3 comments:

Nora, the golden girl said...

Hello Johnny! I saw your profile in TBR's blogsite. We have two things in common: I also turned 50 last June. Unlike you though, I refuse to accept that 50 is old hah hah ... For me, life begins at 50 (as demonstrated in my site www.norberta.blogspot.com) Like you, I am also hooked to running while enjoying a different sports--golf for you, tennis for me. Congratulations for finishing 6k in UP. I also ran last July 6 but only 5k in the Manila Half Marathon Challenge. Hope to see you in future races. Good luck in your La Salle Run this Sunday.
Nora

Anonymous said...

Hi Johnny! Nice blog...na-extra pa ako....imagine if Mara didnt wake you up you could have run sub 30 :)

When will we see Mara in a run?

Macs

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Macs!! Ha! ha! That'll be the day -- getting Mara to join in a run! At the gym nga, she won't run on the threadmill -- she'd rather do aerobics classes or do the ellyptical. Running is just not her thing. Hope to see you again in one of the races when I get back from the US. Ingat pards.