Thursday, July 24, 2008

Finally, A Breach

Today, the weighing scale was my friend. After all these months of trying, it finally showed that I breached the 200 lbs barrier. It dipped below 200 lbs to 199lbs!! For so long, I couldn't bring the needle to slide beyond 201 lbs. At last, a goal has been achieved. Now, the challenge is to keep it off and move further down to 195lbs.

The last few days have been difficult -- workout-wise. It seems everytime I do something, another part of my body complains. I've had foot problems and my left hamstring seem to have been injured while I was doing squats. Somehow, last Monday's yoga session helped stretched it out but I still feel some tautness and soreness.

I had a basketball session last Sunday. And, while it wasn't a dramatic workout, I guess I need a new pair of basketball shoes as my left foot developed an ache in the bottom of the foot. I play basketball only once a year -- during the Finex Basketball Tournament. This is the only basketball tournament I join because I can play with my boys -- we are allowed dependents to reinforce our squads. That's my personal bonding time with the kids.

Yesterday, after resting for two days, I worked out at the gym. I used the treadmill to warm up but since my warm up is only for 15 minutes, I increased my intensity to gain as much benefits as I can in a short time. My personal trainer then put me to my routines. Towards the last part, as I was using the cables, I started feeling weak. Somehow, I was running out of gas!! I guess it was all the portion-control dieting and maybe lack of sleep plus all the physical activities -- somehow, I might have depleted my energy stores. Maybe it was also the increased intensity in the warmup.

Anyway, I had to stop my workout and scramble to get some needed fuel into my system. Luckily, at Fitness First ABS, there is a fruit shake bar with sandwiches. I got my favorite Tuna Salad sandwich and a watermelon shake. After devouring the whole lot, I felt better but still a little weak. I had to stop my workout but it was already the last routine -- unfortunately, I had to waive my stretching time. Just didn't feel like lying down at that point.

But, I guess it will all be worth it later. I'm flying out this Saturday for Boston. I'll need to continue my training runs there before hitting San Francisco on August 2 in time for the San Francisco Marathon -- feel guilty talking about the Marathon when I'm doing only the 5K!! he! he!

Maybe by the time I return, I would be mid-way to my 195 lbs. goal. That's if I'm successful in either controlling my appetite while abroad or keeping up the running to burn off the food I partake as well as the fat stores I have. I'm hoping by then, I'll be ready to run a 10K!! Wish me luck!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats. Celebrate it by eating like it's a feast. How ironic that will be. :D But sometimes I do that.

Unknown said...

Hey Johnny, great to see you are keeoing fit. Please check out my blog and give advice on my triathlon blog as I need serious advice. Are you going to run with the mens health or the milo kasi I will be at both and hope to see you there. Maybe we can get one of those shake somewhere close to the race venue?!?

Johnny Sy said...

Yep Manokan -- that's the irony -- but good thing I'm controlling myself!! he! he!

Hi FR -- I'm probably not the best person to give you advise on the triathlon side yet. But, I'll ask my friends regarding options for the bike. Catch you when I get back from my trip to the US.

Unknown said...

enjoy every moment, and send regards to my people there.

Nora, the golden girl said...

You know what, Johnny? You don't look like a 200-lb man in your picture. Maybe because you're tall? What's your height? What is the acceptable weight for your height? Ups, sorry... I'm asking too many questions. Anyway, take it easy at the SF Run. Don't think about 10k yet. One step at a time. What's the rush? We're still young heh heh ...

Anonymous said...

Hey Johnny, congrats! Don't feel guilty about not running the marathon. You'll have a good time with the 5K.

Let me know when you're flying in from Boston. Take care and we'll see you either Saturday night or Sunday morning. The weather has been nicer the last couple of days here!

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Nora, am 5'10". I don't trust the acceptable weight numbers as that means I should be less than 180 lbs -- even closer to 160 lbs. No way am I gonna reach that goal. I'll be happy if I'm around 190 lbs -- that's a good fighting weight for me. Since I'm working out at the gym anyway, as long as I can keep my percentage fat composition to less than 20%, I'll be happy.

10K is a personal goal and it also helps me jump start my weight loss. I think my running at 30 minutes is also a comfortable level and my body won't lose much weight anymore. I either have to run at a higher intensity or force my runs to be longer. I haven't ran close to an hour per session yet -- that's my next goal and that will help me get closer to the 10K goal. At the same time, that should help me work up my intensity at the 5K level so that I can break 30 minutes.

Ang dami pang kailangan gawin - so even if I run 10K, I'm sure it will be closer to 1 and a half hours for the distance -- ok lang sa akin. I'll then work on bringing the time down to 1 hour and then less.

The goals help me focus because otherwise, my motivation will be affected and I might not end up being lazy and quit running, especially since I still experience all these aches and pains!! he! he!

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Wayne, I'll email you when I get to Boston and we can work out an appropriate schedule to meet up. I'm arriving in SF on Aug 2 at around 7pm. Catch you in the US.