Sunday, July 27, 2008

First Boston Run


My first attempt to run in Boston was thwarted by mother nature -- I woke up around 4:45 (still a big jet-lagged) and saw that it was drizzling outside. For a minute there, I said, no big deal, let's go. Then, I remembered that I would get everything wet - including my shoes!! Since I didn't have a spare pair with me, I decided on the more prudent approach -- go to the Hotel gym instead.


A view from outside my hotel window -- bummer -- rains!

I was actually ready with my camera to take in some of the sights. Since we went to the supermarket last night in one direction, I was planning on taking the other direction up M.I.T. Of course, that didn't materialize and I ended up taking some pictures of the hotel gym -- ha! ha! You got to have some visuals on the blogs -- otherwise, it becomes too boring!

That's me through the mirror -- I started taking pictures when the other lady left -- didn't want to appear strange!!





The hotel gym was actually well stocked with good equipment -- not a lot but as you can see, we weren't many working out anyway!

Well, I wasn't alone in the gym -- there was another lady doing her thing on the elliptical. I got on the treadmill and programmed it for 45 minutes. Initially, I got confused. All the indicators were set for miles -- wasn't used to this as we used kilometers back home. So, I started slow and then got up to a 6 setting on the speed dial.

A simulated running photo -- had to position the camera near the towel rack to do this -- too bad Mama Ting isn't here to take photos!


Initially, it looked like it was going to be a good workout -- I was hoping to get some speed training in. But, upon reaching the 20 minute mark, I started to fade. That's when I decided to slow down a bit. I guess, I just have to slowly work my way up again until Sunday. But, the good thing is, I finished my 45 minutes and finished over 4 miles (I can't recall how much over). Tomorrow, I'll try again.

I just finished breakfast downstairs at the hotel diner. We will head off for M.I.T. to familiarize ourselves with our training location before heading downtown for some sightseeing.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll get a chance to do some road work!! Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Nora, the golden girl said...

You travelled 24 hours the day before, slept at 11:30PM the night before and you still had the energy to wake up at 4:45 AM the following morning? Are you sure you're 50, not 30?

Johnny Sy said...

The waking is all jet-lag driven. Since I was up already, might as well take advantage and run. This morning was normal -- had a late night working and decided to take an extra hour sleeping -- no workout tuloy!! :-)