Friday, July 10, 2009

The Wonders of Massage

Over the last 2 weeks, my running volume has increased. I'm trying to get my endurance base to a level where I would be comfortable running a stretched 21K. This should make me ready in time for the Globe Run for Home 21K on the 19th of July.

But, as you probably will surmise, the increase in running volume takes a toll on the body -- the whole body is sore and the muscles all feel like they've been tortured continuously!! As such, the runs last Saturday and Sunday were excruciating -- really a test of mental strength to push through despite the obvious physical difficulties.

After the Sunday run, I was feeling frustrated and worried that I might not make it in time for July 19. I decided to take a day off Monday. I also decided to go to my suki Massage spa -- the Getaway Spa along Sgt. Esguerra Ave. I go there because they have this 80-minute Sports Massage which is a longer, deep-tissue, hard, Swedish massage. I just felt a really strong need for this session.

The masseuse went through every part of my aching body, kneading, stretching and massaging. It was partly painful because my muscles were all sore and inflamed. When she uses her arms and elbows to add strength into the moves, you feel like crying but I knew I had to endure it a bit -- it was painful but good!!! (Sounds like a masochist??? he! he!).

After the session, I was completely relaxed and exhausted at the same time. I went home and had a restful evening watching TV before retiring early. I wanted to get up early the next day to do a longer run than usual.

Tuesday morning, I woke up at the alarm at 5:30am. I felt better after the previous day's massage. As I started my run, I was amazed at how strong my legs felt. I tried a new route this time -- working through the hilly portion of Horseshoe Village before traversing Aurora Blvd. into Broadway and down Rolling Hills -- another hilly section.

When I finished my run, I actually did over 1 hour 45 minutes!!! Longest I had in a training session recently. While my legs were sore after, they didn't feel as tortured compared to the previous week. I was a little bit scared of how my body would feel at work -- I didn't want to be unproductive for the day.

While I was not 100%, I wasn't feeling like I needed to take the day off. But, I decided to have another massage session after work. Same treatment -- an 80-minute sports massage. Unfortunately, the masseuse who took care of me Monday had a day off. But, the substitute masseuse was equally good -- in fact, a bit stronger!!

I decided Wednesday would be another rest day. I also decided that I'll have my third massage session in a row but instead of the 80-minute sports massage, I opt for the 60-minute regular Swedish massage.

On Thursday morning, I woke up a bit earlier at 5am. I wanted to try a longer run. So, at 5:30am, I was off on the road again. I tried a few variations on the route, but still hitting the hills at Horseshoe Village and Rolling Hills but taking extended runs around the streets. By the time I finished, I was able to run a bit over 2 hours!! This is now the longest I've ever trained!!!

It was amazing that despite the long run I did Tuesday, I could do an even longer run on Thursday!! And my body seemed stronger despite the stress I put on it. I attribute this to the three consecutive massage sessions. I need to go back but I'm now bogged down with work and meetings. I hope I can find time over the weekend for one more session.

Unfortunately, I have a slight problem with one of the toes on my right foot. I'm surprised it happened given that I've been running with the same shoes for awhile. I'll need to check the straps to see if it's too loose. For whatever reason, I'm nursing an injured toe. I hope it will be better by tomorrow. I want to join my friends for a long run on Saturday. Let's pray it will be okay to run by tomorrow.

3 comments:

Brownie said...

its a good thing i was not the only one who will run the 21k this coming 19. anyways nice to know i found you interested. btw open pa ung registration til july 14 here's the link nga pla. see you there!
www.globe.com.ph/runforhome

Nora, the golden girl said...

Wow! You ran for more than 2 hours, Johnny? Reding ready ka na this July 19. Subukan ko nga ring magpamassage . . .

Anonymous said...

that's my secret weapon also! see you in globe!