Friday, July 31, 2009

On Motivation and Re-Starting

It's been over a week since the Globe Run for Home 21K. For a number of reasons, I wasn't able to run since that race until yesterday. While it's easy to give excuses -- weather, work, time, etc., it seems like it's so hard to maintain a high level of motivation after completing a goal.

Finishing the 21K race was an accomplishment -- albeit not great. I've now set up a new goal of training for a full 42K. But, somehow, after the rigor of preparing for the last 21K, it's so hard to find the same level of motivation to start my training program for the full marathon.

If you scout the web on the topic of running motivation, there isn't a lack of resources to choose from. But, somehow, despite all the techniques, it's like the feeling after a sugar rush -- you just feel lethargic and lost. I guess that's why you really need to take time off after your major efforts and work out a re-focusing plan.

So yesterday, after all the internal mind games about starting and not starting, I actually woke up early to resume my running regimen. Unfortunately, while you force the effort, all is not in place and it was agonizing getting back into the groove. Every step was a struggle -- not necessarily physical. The concentration needed to push myself mentally was enormous.

Somehow, I got myself to finish my 5K run. It wasn't pretty but it was good to just start running again. I know that it will take a lot more mental effort to get myself back into a routine -- it's just slow progress. But, one thing that is helping me refocus is the fact that my friends Jorge, Dave and Mesh just did one of my dreams -- running the full marathon at San Francisco. If they can do it, there is no excuse for me not to.

So, in the words of two famous shoe brands -- Impossible is Nothing and Just Do It!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck in your training! If you need motivation simply go where most runners are (like UP, BHS, ULTRA etc.) and just seeing them will motivate you. See you soon!

Nora, the golden girl said...

Kawawa naman ako--I live far from UP, BHS and ULTRA!

Don't worry too much Johnny. I've stopped training for 5 months but I still managed to be on track again. Believe me your passion will be back.

Our primary goal is still to run injury-free (I recently got injured but not in running). Keep it slow but sure. The distance and speed will eventually follow.

Go, go Johnny go, go!

Nora, the golden girl said...

How are you Johnny? Hope you're OK.