Friday, July 17, 2009

Wet Training Days

As the days approaching the Globe Run for Home 21K diminish, the need for training increases. As such, it's a bit frustrating when Mother Nature decides to test one's resolve to meet training objectives. Thankfully, this week is "taper off" week, but still, I wanted to keep my running volume up. I guess Mother Nature has decided that I need to watch the amount of pounding I give my body this week.

One of the perils of running in the rain is getting wet shoes. Even if you want to avoid them, you have no choice but to go through puddles of water. I was rotating 3 pairs of shoes the last few days and all of them are hanging out to dry. I tried on a new pair of Asics yesterday -- hoping to break them in slowly so that I can use them during the longer runs and races. That too became soggy. So now, I have 4 pairs to rotate during rainy training runs!! And, the Asics had a real baptism yesterday.

While wet equipment is a hassle, the real danger is catching a cold or the flu. Each run this week I come home soaking wet from head to toe. As soon as I reach home, I get into the bathroom to take a shower so that I could get into dry clothes quickly. The worrisome part is not being wet but in many cases doing my cooldown in the rain while walking home. So far, knocking on wood, my body has stood up to the challenge. I want to make sure I don't get sick any day now up to race day.

The nice thing about running in the rain is that your body is comfortably cool despite the effort. I guess a slight drizzle is ideal but when it becomes a downpour, it's not fun anymore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Johnny. I've been reading about the wet weather. Hopefully, by Sunday, it will be running weather for all of you. Good luck to you and all the participants.

Amado L. Castro, Jr. said...

The way the rain keeps on pouring, Sunday's "Run For Home" will be more of "Run In The Rain". Your recent rain runs will be helpful in deed!