Monday, July 20, 2009

Globe Run For Home -- My 2nd 21K


The moment finally arrived. After weeks of training trying to ramp up running volume, the event I was training for is here – the Globe Run for Home 21K Run. It will be my 2nd attempt at a 21K distance. The first try was the Condura race – a race where I finished but had to limp in the last 4K. This time, I hope to do better.


Pre-start images -- still dark as 21K race would start at 5am

Waking up at 3am, I was hoping I had sufficient time before race time at 5am. Upon arriving at Bonifacio High Street, many of us were surprised to discover one of the pay parking area was totally reserved for the race organizers and sponsors – of which at 4:15am, it was practically empty. I decided to go around and park at the other side near Kabisera.

21K Runner friends ready to run prior to start

By the time I was at the Starting Line, it was almost 4:30am. I happen to chance upon Bong Zandueta limbering up near Rox while waiting for his fellow Takbo.ph running gang. Also hooked up with good friends Jajo Quintos of IBM and Jay Nacino (Prometheus Cometh). Pretty soon, they started the National Anthem and we were all asked to enter the Starting Area. Inside, I saw my cousin, Emerson Tian. Dave de Leon entered a few seconds later and introduced some of his Runnex buddies. Rico Ibana showed up a few seconds after. I also bumped into with Bro. J and his lovely Swthrt, for the first time!! At exactly 5am, we were off. No jostling this time as our starting times are individually clocked by the Champion timing chip we were all given.

The route will take us from the Starting Line at Boni High Street up the Kalayaan flyover to Buendia. From there we will enter the Makati CBD through Ayala Ave., passing through Paseo de Roxas, right onto Makati Avenue and left to Ayala Ave. until the Rustan’s area and then back. Unfortunately, that is not the half-way point yet. As we re-enter Fort Bonifacio, we continue another 7Kms. all the way until Bayani Road before coming back home to the Starting Area.

The first time I ran a 21K during the Condura 2009 race, I was a tourist-runner, stopping to take pictures along the way since it was my first 21K and the first time we ran up the Skyway. This time, I was focused on running, hoping to do much better than my first attempt.

I was prepared to run a steady 7.5Kph pace – the setting I used for my Virtual Partner on my Garmin 405. Unfortunately, as is typical in a race, I get pulled away from my normal pace with the rest of the runners at the start. It was only later, after reviewing my splits, that I found out my first 5K was over 8Kph, 7:08mins/km! I guess I knew it would be like this but I was also concerned I’ll pay for this faster start at the end.

I tried to stop at each water station – making an effort to take some walking breaks early in the game. At one of the water stations, instead of water, I tried the 100 Plus they were distributing. I was surprised that it was the carbonated version!!! I had a few sips but decided not to finish the whole can. Later on, several of my running buddies complained about imbibing the carbonated drink – just not meant for drinking while running.

My first 10K was relatively good. I managed to squeeze in 8Km in less than an hour and finished the first 10K in 1:13:88. Still too fast for my 21K pace! After the first 10K, I was starting to feel an ebbing in energy. I continued to follow my strategy of walking breaks every 2Km.

On the way back through Kalayaan Bridge, I was happy that I was able to continue running – no stopping this time on the bridge. But, as I was coming down from the bridge, I felt my feet slipping inside my shoes and was fearful that blisters will developed. I stopped on the side and tightened my shoe laces. While it prevented the slipping, I somehow felt constricted and it showed during the last part of the run.

The last 6K was agonizing!! I still have to traverse the path towards McKinley and Bayani Road. While my target was to run each 5K at around 40 minutes or less, the last two 5K splits were definitely over 40 minutes. I had to dig deep into my reservoir of mental strength to make sure I don’t stop running. The walking breaks continued but in a disciplined manner every 2Km at each water station.

By the time I crossed the Finished Line, I was one exhausted runner. I crossed at 2:53:52 based on my timer! I was targeting 2:45 but I knew coming in it would be a stretch. But, still, it was better than my Condura performance, which was over 3 hours running.




After the race, I met up with a number of runner/bloggers. I was able to finally meet some for the first time, including Jaymie (Bull Runner) and Vener. Saw Nora, Jinoe and Bro. J again. That was when I found out Bro. J was Joseph and Swthrt was Josephine (she did her first 21K!!! Congrats!!!). We took some pictures before I left to join the gang for breakfast at Valle Verde.



Post-race pictures with other runners/bloggers

At Valle Verde, I was one of the last to arrive. It was a nice breakfast courtesy of Jorge Buenaventura. The breakfast was not just a nice get together after a hard run but also a send off for SF Marathon runners Jorge, Dave de Leon and Mesh!!! Good luck to all of you. I was also surprised to see Gina Go, who turned out to be the better half of Bobby Go!! Gina and I used to work together in the Lopez Group – so it was great seeing her again. Several of my buddies are also training for the CamSur tri-event – Ting, Ed, Rico, Laarni and Bobby. Good luck to them, too!!! Me – I’m happy completing my 2nd 21K and might consider training for a full 42K in time for October!! Hmm – this is a step up for me but now that I’m where I am, I guess I might as well go All-In!!!


Post-Run Breakfast at Valle Verde




7 comments:

Nora, the golden girl said...

Congratulations Johnny! What a great improvement in time. Kaya mo na talaga ang full marathon. Go for it!

Feel free to grab our pictures in my blog. Great seeing you again, Johnny.

Bro J said...

Congratulations Johnny on a new PR! It was nice meeting you in person. It was good race last Sunday. Hope to see you again in future races!
_ Bro J and Swthrt

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Johnny on the PR! Though it wasn't 2:45, it was definitely a big step over what happened at Condura.

Just to let you know, I'll be running the Silicon Valley Marathon instead of CIM. The website is http://www.svmarathon.com .

Take care and a nice recovery week! Great photos as always.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Johnny! I think you'll be ready to start training for a full marathon soon :-)

Johnny Sy said...

Thanks Nora, Bro J, Wayne and Dindo. It was a good run -- although it looks I need a lot more running volume to get my body used to the distance. I guess I'll use this as a springboard to the 42K training. I don't want to limp home over 6 hours in a full marathon so I guess I'll need to work doubly hard to get my body in shape.

Good luck with your marathon at Silicon Valley, Wayne. Wish I could be there.

run unlimited said...

Congratulations Johnny. It's great to meet you at the race finally. Good luck on your training for the full marathon.

Vener & Christy
run unltd.

carlo said...

that's a big improvement on your 21K running time. congratulations! =)