Monday, November 17, 2008

Towards my 1st 10K - part 2 -- the NB Power Race 2008 - Clark Freeport Zone

It's Race Day -- November 16 -- and we're at Clark Freeport Zone. It's my first time to run in Clark and my first time to run a 10K distance. I feel all sorts of emotions -- I'm scared, I'm jubilant, I'm apprehensive and excited!!!

The night before, I was able to have dinner with Allan Esguerra and his lovely girlfriend, Essh. We had dinner at the Korean restaurant inside Mimosa. Food was good and the company was great!! I was supposed to have dinner with Wayne (sfrunner) and Gene Ordanza but they were invited by Tanya to visit Tarlac. So, I ended up seeing Wayne only on race day. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see Wayne the whole week he was here because of my planning conference in Baguio.

Having a nice Korean dinner with Allan and his girlfriend, Essh


Essh is such an interesting person with an equally interesting story about her. I was gonna write about her story but I'll refrain for awhile until I get some pictures from Allan and get her permission to post!!

I also had a nightcap with Jay (Prometheus Cometh) and his lovely wife Angel. In my hurry to pack for my Baguio trip, I forgot my hydration belt. Thankfully, Jay agreed to bring it along as he was also staying at the Holiday Inn. It was a good nightcap before retiring -- I needed the help to get to sleep.

Race day morning came and I woke up at 4:00am. By 5:00am I was at the registration area. Parking was starting to fill up. I brought by camera with me to try and capture pictures of the pre-race excitement. I took a few -- capturing many of the 25K runners who had to get their RFID tags. I saw Dindo (RunningDATC) and finally met up with Wayne and Gene. I also met a number of other runners/bloggers including Doray and Jinoe. Sorry, there were so many I didn't remember all the names.


The 25K runners lining for their RFID tags



With Wayne, Gene and Dindo before proceeding to the Starting Line


After taking a few more pictures, I gave up and decided to return my camera to my car -- I brought along my big SLR and didn't want to bring it with me while running. I think I'm gonna reward myself at Christmas with a new point-and-shoot camera so that I can bring it with while running!! he! he!

Pretty soon, we were all getting inside the starting area. The 25K runners were gonna start off ahead of the 10K runners. Start was a little late -- instead of 5:30am for 25K, they took off at around 5:45am and we started after a few minutes later.

I had conflicting views about the race route -- some said it was relatively flat but others said it would be a hilly challenge. We'd soon find out which one is right. Unfortunately, the hills prevailed. Immediately after the first 1.5K, we encountered our first hill. While the Baguio training helped, I knew I was in trouble when the 2nd hill came up. That was when I took my first walk break. It was a good thing it was after the 2.5K mark, where the water station was situated. The water helped and I restarted after the hill. At the 4K mark, we were presented with a long downhill stretch.

I kept on thinking that while the downhill was great in helping me recover, what goes down must come up!!! he! he! At the 5K turn, I got my water bottle and headed back up. This time, it was painful all the way -- I knew it was a 1Km uphill climb -- a sustained uphill climb!!! So, this was were I took my second walk-break. And it was only the 6K mark!!

Upon reaching the 7K marker, I restarted running -- it was a continuous challenge to stay running. I had probably one more walking break before reaching the 1.5K to go mark. This time, I just hardened my resolved and kept running until I reached the finished line. 10K run complete!! I time myself around 1 hour 18 minutes. I hope my official time will be around that mark as well.




The Finish Lines were well-organized. The 10K finish had 5 chutes based on the letter attached to your bib number. The 25K finish had the RFID transponders ready to capture the moment. Medals were given to all finishers.

I walked around to cool down and chatted with Wayne and some other members of Happy Feet for awhile. But, I knew my knee was going to suffer -- but I'm relieved I accomplished what I set out to do -- finished my first 10K.

Kudos to the organizers -- it was one of the best organized races I've joined!!! The course was challenging, the race markers were large and plentiful. Water stations were properly stationed at each 2.5K mark. The weather cooperated -- it was overcast and cool all throughout the race!! It was definitely a fantastic experience -- perfect for my first 10K.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad, i wasn't able to meet you. Johnny, are you staying in Baguio?

Unknown said...

Sorry I did not get time to meet you, but maybe next time. Congrats after your first 10km.

Johnny Sy said...

Hi highaltitude -- yep, too bad we didn't meet up. Nope, I stay in Quezon City but was in Baguio for our planning conference. I'm sure we'll meet up next time.

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Philip -- yep, too bad we didn't see each other. I was surprised to not have seen you. I saw some of your pictures at the podium -- you must have had a great race. I'll catch you in the next race.

Unknown said...

Ok sige, see you then and all the best

Anonymous said...

nice meeting you yesterday Johnny! congratulations on your first 10K.

Bro J said...

Congrats on your first 10K johnny. Hope to meet you in future races.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on you first 10K! I knew you could do it. The older we get the more we rely on endurance rather than speed so I am sure this is a distance where you will see more improvements in your running! Until the next race...keep running!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your 1st 10K. Nice to meet you before the start of the race. More 10Ks to come. :D

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Vballrunner -- Thanks and it was good to meet you too. I hope we'll have more time next time to talk -- masyadong mabilis. Catch you soon in another race.

Hi BroJ -- sayang, you should have been there at Clark. I'll catch you at another race.

Hi Jay -- thanks. And you're right. I really need to do the longer distances -- I guess I better enroll in Coach Rio's class to make sure I run properly and lessen my injuries.

Hi Jinoe -- thanks. It was nice catching you before the race too but it was too fleeting. Next time, hope to have more time to chat. Yep, more 10Ks to come.

Nora, the golden girl said...

Wow! 1:18 for your first 10k race! Hilly route pa! Congratulations Johnny! Naiwanan mo na ako (sob) . . .
I missed you at the VSO. Are you running 10k in the Animo Run this Nov. 23? 5k pa lang din ako.

Again, congratulations Johnny for that great finish. Hope to run 10k with you in future race. Kaso lang, baka pag kaya ko na ang 10k, eh 21k ka na!

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Nora -- thanks. Unfortunately, I've got a number of commitments this weekend. So, no racing this weekend. Good luck with your run.

I'm sure kaya mo na ang 10K. You look like your more fit than I am. Baka you'll have a podium finish pa in your first 10K.

Mukhang malayo pa ang 21K ko. Need to strengthen further so many things before I reach that level.

Catch you soon in a race.

Anonymous said...

This is so late but still, congratulations on your first 10k! I'm sure there will be many more to come. See you this sunday? :-)

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Dindo -- thanks and no problem -- I think we're both recovering from the run. I'm passing on this weekend -- too many commitments. I should be back after this weekend. Catch you whenever.

Gene Ordanza said...

Hey Johnny, great run! And great to finally catch up with you! Hehe, time to move out of your comfort zone :-) Hope to catch up with you again at the Milo race.

Anonymous said...

Hi Johnny. Catching up on the blogs and e-mails. Congratulations on the 10K. I agree that it was one of the best run races ever. Not because it was New Balance sponsored or it was in the Philippines (where I had a great time) but it really was done with class.

I've e-mailed NB Philippines to let them know of my positive feedback.

Also, thanks for finding Gene and I. Felt bad about not hooking up but we'll have a chance when you return to the States or when I return to the Philipiines (2009!).

Take care and stay healthy!