Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Takbo - Breast Friends 2008

Throughout my life, it has never failed to happen -- when you stop exercising for a long time, getting back is one of the hardest things to do. You hope somehow it will change as you grow older but it doesn't. As such, it was with sheer mental effort that I literally dragged myself out of bed at 4:30am on Sunday, October 5, to fulfill my promise to Mama Ting that I will run at the Takbo - Breast Friends 2008 run at the ULTRA!!

Believe me, there were several moments of weakness where I was tempted to call Ting and say "Sorry, can't make it today!" But, largely because of pride -- I completed dressing up and drove out of the house --- destination ULTRA!

Since it was early morning and Pasig was nearby, I wasn't in much of a hurry. But, my blood was boiling even before I reached the track and field oval!! To get to the ULTRA Track & Field oval, you traverse a narrow, one-way, single lane, snake-like road around the compound through the Brent school area. Just before reaching the entrance of the track and field oval, I was greeted by a PNP (our Philippine National Police) 6x6 truck trying to maneuver his large truck into a tiny parking space -- that took almost 3 minutes of waiting. Then, as I drove past the now parked truck, I was greeted by a taxicab turning around and heading in our direction!!! I shouted that it was a One Way Street! At this point, I was getting warmed up -- in a very negative sense -- temper was reaching boiling point. A few feet away, I discovered why the taxi was turning around. Right smack in the middle of the road were two other PNP Troop Carriers -- PARKED!!! They were deliberately blocking the road with no regard to anyone else who might be coming up the driveway!! My temper went beyond boiling point!! Fortunately, there was another person behind me who was equally pissed and started honking his horn and then moved forward to look for someone to take the vehicles away. He somehow succeeded and the two vehicles moved forward to find a more suitable parking area.



It was a pretty healthy crowd for the race. We estimated between 300 to 400 people, although, quite a number were from the PNP and schools around Quezon City.

Anyway, let's proceed to more positive thoughts. I arrived ahead of the gang -- they decided to park at Valle Verde Country Club across the street -- which was a good idea given the lack of parking spaces inside ULTRA. The crowd was already thick at the track area and football field. The announcers were already getting the crowd into the mood and a Fitness First person was getting ready to do the warm-ups. I found Dante and Ed among the crowd -- Dante had my bib number and my registration kit. After pinning on my bib, I decided to walk back to the car to drop off the kit and my t-shirt -- a good warm up to the start of the race.

A few minutes later we hooked up with Ting and Dick. Ed, Ting and Dick are in the 10K race while me and Dante are tackling the 5K run. A little while later I was surpised to see two familiar faces -- Ria and Emer -- cousins of my wife who have been running for some time already and are accomplished marathoners. Of course, we joked about getting my wife into the same sport -- I just told Ria to convinced her herself!!!

Pretty soon, it was time to start. The course is pretty tough -- you start at the track and field oval, head out through the narrow gate beside the basketball gym turning right at the gate into Capt. Javier, right at Meralco Ave, then right again at Julia Vargas, all the way to C5, right at C5 until Canley, right at Canley, all the way up the hill near motel row and right at Capt. Javier until reaching ULTRA again. One loop is 5K and two rounds are needed for the 10K racers. The hill at Canley Road will separate the serious runners from the neophytes and that makes this race a real tough one.

It was a mass start for all racers -- 3K, 5K and 10K. Given the narrow path out of ULTRA, we all slowed to a crawl. Upon entering the street, you had to maneuver around so many groups who ended up just walking -- 5 to 6 people abreast!!!

Coming from a month and a half layoff, my objective was just to finish. The early part of the race was pretty good. I was able to keep my pace all the way to the C5 turn. C5 was a little rough, as the sun was now high up and pollution was pretty bad. I tried to maintain composure but at the 15 minute mark, I gave in to the desire to stop and walk. I just didn't want to push myself too hard. From then on, I was running a bit and walking a bit.

Upon reaching the "cardiac hill," I decided to just walk up -- and it was difficult even if I was just walking. At the end of the hill, I resumed running until I reached the ULTRA entrance. I ended the race a little above 39 minutes on my personal timer.

I didn't bring my camera this time and just used my camera phone to take pictures. I had a chance to introduce myself to Coach Rio after the race. After that, Dante and I took the car to Valle Verde to meet up with Ting and Ed for breakfast.

Dante and I just had to take a picture evidencing our finish!!!


There's Coach Rio -- he was at the race shepherding his students throughout the run

I wasn't happy I didn't run all the way but I knew I had to take it slow again. I have a few more days to strengthen myself before hitting the Adidas King of the Road race on Saturday, Oct. 11. At least I'm back and I'm happy with that!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

POWERMALL.
Still looking for the right home-based business?
My Power Mall is totally different!
It's FREE, you do not have to sell anything and all your tools are free.
Here is your chance to finally succeed!

http://www.mypowermall.com/biz/home/154937

Anonymous said...

HI Johnny, glad to hear that you are running again. Goodluck at the KOTR. It will surely be a happy run.

Anonymous said...

Hi Johnny. Congratulations. Definitely, I know the feeling after an injury. Take care and I'll see you soon!

Running Fatboy said...

Congrats on your run. This seems a perfect practice for Adidas run for you. Good luck

Nora, the golden girl said...

For someone who's still recuperating, this is a feat you should be proud of, Johnny! Congratulations! I don't think I'll even finish this kind of run (OK--I'll certainly finish, but probably the last!) where one has to run uphill. Hmmm ... time to look for a place where I could practice running hills.
See you at the KOTR, Johnny. Lets meet before the starting line to have our photo ha. Can't stay long after the race. Market day kasi ang Saturday.

Anonymous said...

Hi Johnny,

I'm glad you're doing the KOTR. I'll be doing the 21K. I'm excited and nervous at the same time.

I just stumbled upon your blog. I was reading some of my friends blog- trying to get some inspiration to go running tonight. Your blog definitely is a booster.

I hope you get to visit our restaurant at the Fort: its called Paul Calvin's Deli. We'll be serving Healthy Breakfast Buffet. We’re located at Rizal Drive (Between UCC & Chowking) sa tapat lang kami ng helipad.

Para di ka maligaw you can call us at 856.5900. Just look for me (Jay)

Excited to meet new friends and hopefully new running buddies.

-Jay Em of Paul Calvin’s Deli
ps. daan lang kayo, para konting kwentuhan.