Monday, October 20, 2008

Botak Paa-Bilisan Run

I was excited to wake up on Sunday, October 19, 2008. It's the Botak-Paa Bilisan run at Bonifacio Global City. I was excited because I felt that I was ready to run -- despite having spent 3 days at Subic attending the Microsoft CIO Summit. I had two training runs prior to the Subic trip and my last one was a comfortable run up to 40 minutes -- which was the longest I've run without stopping since returning to the running scene after my 1 1/2 months layoff.

I had a little apprehension, though, since the Subic trip was tiring. I just hoped that my training depth will take me through. I was also a little worried as I seemed to have caught the early stage of a cold -- I was experiencing phlegm and coughing. But, I wanted to do this and nothing was going to stop me.

Mama Ting had my race package and we decided to meet up behind the NBC tent at around 5:30. When I arrived around the area, I saw that they had the open space near the NBC tent open for parking. I had just texted Ting that I was already in the area when she responded quickly that she was in the area as well. I took out my camera and walked towards the starting area and saw Ting coming out of her car. I put on my race bib and went around to take some pictures.




Mama Ting, early in at the parking lot, getting ready for the 10K race






It was sea of Orange and White -- a big crowd ready to run!
Running sisters, Jeanne and Jenine Ngo, friends of Ting


It was a sea of orange and white -- the Botak singlet was definitely shining brightly. Since I got my singlet only that day, I was wearing my Adidas black and yellow singlet. I guess, this would make me stand out when the various cameras start clicking!! he! he!

The race started a little after 6am -- all racers from the 3 categories (3K, 5K and 10K) doing a mass start. The usual navigating through slow runners and walkers happened. At the corner of 26th Street and 5th Avenue, the group split up -- the 5K and 10K runners turning left towards the McKinley Road area while the 3K runners continued forward.

Having ran the Adidas route previously, I immediately saw I was going to experience a different challenge. Right after turning left into 5th Avenue, you are presented an uphill climb all the way up until the Essensa Condominium. The Adidas run was relatively flatter -- I guess that's why I finished at a faster clip, despite walking a few meters. The challenge was to maintain focus until the u-turn -- the return path would definitely be a more downhill route. I'm glad this was the early part -- I guess it would be a challenge for the 10K runners as they will traverse the same route twice!!

Upon reaching the same corner of 26th Street and 5th Avenue, we then turned left and ran the same route of the 3K race. I was disappointed when I reached a water station near the Jollibee store near 32nd Street -- No more water!!! -- looks like the 3K runners consumed all the supply -- what's going to happen to the 10K runners?!? I was surprised to feel being parched -- I guess the heat and my early cold was making me dehydrated faster.

The rest of the way was mentally challenging -- I desperately wanted to finish this race without stopping. I went back to counting strides to maintain focus. Pretty soon, we were turning right into 11th Street at the back of Serendra -- almost there, I said to myself. I thought we were going to turn right immediately after Bonifacio High Street, but I was wrong -- we still had to run the stretch from 26th Street until the NBC Tent area. I sucked it in and continued without stopping. Pretty soon, I was at the corner and the Finish line was in sight -- and I did it!!! No stopping this time. In my excitement, I forgot all about my watch -- by the time I hit stop, it was already at 34.02. So, I estimate my time to be between 33.40 to 33.50. I think it would be slower than the Adidas run, but this time, there was no stopping and there was the uphill stretch. So, I'm happy!!


At the Finish Line -- finally got someone to take my picture!



The BayanTrade Runners -- 27 runners this time, a new record!! Unfortunately, Dante, their boss, is traveling in Europe.


I stayed on to take more pictures, including the finishes of Ting and Ed.




Ed doing a great finishing kick with his 10K run -- should be good PR




Ting coming in a few minutes later -- and fresh enough to do another 10K!

I caught another friend as he was finishing his 10K run -- Allan Esguerra. He was with us in the Finex Basketball tournament and the running bug has bitten him as well.




Allan finishing his own 10K run

There were a few interesting sidelights during the event -- We had our version of Captain America -- Capitan Pilipinas -- who wore a strange outfit without a flag cape; There were two celebrities who went up the stage to talk about the causes -- saving kids with nutrition and education -- Karen Davila of ABS-CBN and Miriam Quiambao of GMA7 (two rival TV stations); and a team of Star Wars Storm Troopers who finished the race in their costume!!


Capitan Pilipinas with his costume!!

ABS-CBN News Personality Karen Davila asking for support for World Vision and aid to the children.

GMA7 Personality and former beauty queen Miriam Quiambao giving her congratulations and asking for support for kids' causes as well. She actually ran the 3K race.



It was Star Wars at the races -- a group of Storm Troopers completed their run and attracted a crowd!

We didn't have breakfast today as Ting wanted to continue training for her 25K. No worries as I ended having my favorite Chinese breakfast at Gloria Maris in Greenhills -- congee and dimsum. A reward for this run -- ha! ha!

Unfortunately, I'm now nursing my cold -- which worsened after pushing myself -- but, I'm sure I'll bounce back soon. It's just the cumulative effect of long nights and the run. Ain't no spring chicken anymore -- he! he! Next week, Mama Ting has us registered for the OctoberRUN Festival. And, I've decided to register for the New Balance 10K Run at Clark on Nov. 16 -- as such, I have to start training for the higher mileage!! Wish me luck!!




13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Johnny, with your time I'm sure you can easily complete 10k at Clark. See you there and stay injury free!

Anonymous said...

Hi Johnny. Congratulations on the 5K. Stay injury free and I'll see you at Clark. Sounds like maybe dinner the night before. I'll be with Gene. Maybe there will be more people joining.

I'll share more information with you when I find out where we're staying.

Nora, the golden girl said...

Where do you get all that energy, Johnny? We're of the same age but I cannot possibly do what you've done--join races every single week!

Congratulations Johnny! Hats off ako sa yo.

See you at the OctobeRUN. This would be my 2nd race at the Fort. Hopefully this time, I wont get lost anymore hehehe...

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Dindo -- thanks -- I still need to get mileage and running times up to make sure I do it right. As for injuries -- you and me both!!! Hope to catch you at next Sunday's run. Get the headband merchandise going!!!

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Wayne -- thanks. Let's work on that dinner with Gene in Clark. I'm still not sure whether I'll be in Saturday or Sunday. Still dependent on my Management Conference schedule. Let's stay in touch.

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Nora -- don't think it's the energy level -- Mama Ting has been prodding us to make sure we make the runs -- and it's good since I need the continuous workouts to get my energy level back up. Of course, running with a slight cold worsens it so I'm down for two days -- recovery is a little bit slower. Should be back to work tomorrow.

Catch you Sunday -- I'm sure you'll get to know your way around The Fort soon.

Anonymous said...

nice run! see you on sunday if you are doing OctobeRun.

-wilbert-

Anonymous said...

nice pics, nice run... congrats! see you this sunday!

- joe

janine said...

Hi Johnny. It was nice meeting you at the Botak run. Good luck and see you at the New Balance run! =)

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Wilbert -- thanks for visiting -- yes -- see you this Sunday for the octobeRun. Hope to get some pics together.

Johnny Sy said...

Thanks Joe -- wonder how I'll recognize you -- you have blog? Anonymous kasi!! he! he! Catch you this Sunday.

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Janine -- sorry, looks like I misspelled your name. That's Ting's fault -- he! he! Ang lakas mo na pala -- half-marathoner na. Someday I'll catch up. You're not running this Sunday?

Dorothy said...

ooooh. I believe that's me in the last picture with the storm troopers :O)