Sunday, October 26, 2008

It's OctoberRun 2008!!!

"We all age -- but there is no excuse to feel old!!"

My friend Jorge Buenaventura shared this piece of wisdom with me today -- right at the finish line of the OctoberRun at Bonifacio Global City -- organized by The Fort Striders. He revealed that another friend, Dave de Leon, made a study of the performances of runners versus their age and showed that age is not a reason for not doing well -- even in runs. He also mentioned that since he took up running January of this year, he has never felt better in years!!! As such, he continues, there is no excuse to feel 48, 49 or 50!!!

I can believe this -- given the articles about running slowing down the aging process. Except that I probably got the short end of the stick when God handed out favors for runners -- he! he! No, it just means I need to train and train and train. And unfortunately, this week was a week without any training!!!

So, it was with a slight trepidation that I faced the starting line at today's race. The Fort Striders showed they knew their stuff when it comes to organizing races -- the course was well plotted, you had plenty of marshalls and water stations, and you have a great crowd of runners -- all conditions for a great run!!! It was up to the runner to do his best and finish. And that was my goal today -- finish, and hopefully, respectably.



Me, Dante and Ting, taking a few shots before heading into the starting pit.



Jorge, Dante, Ting and I making running newbie, Raymond Yap, feel at home before the start of his first 5K! Congratulations for finishing Raymond!!! Hope to see more of you in future races -- Mama Ting will make sure of this.


The 10K runners started off first, followed by 5K and 3K runners with a 5 minute gap per group. Dante, Ting and Ed were all running the 10K -- Dante decided it was time to move up -- after running only 5K races for so many months -- that left me as the only one in the 5K category!! Fortunately, Jorge was using this as one of his recovery runs from his 21K last Adidas KOTR -- as such, he was running in the 5K category. He also dragged along several members of his First Data family, including good friend Raymond Yap.

When our 5K turn came up, I started off strong. The route was familiar -- turning left into 5th Avenue and up the hill towards Essensa and making a u-turn at the corner before Bayani Road before heading back. The 10K runners would continue left until the Heritage Park before their return leg. I still felt strong at the u-turn but I got into a bit of mental trouble near the water station close to Essensa. So, I ended up with a short walk before reaching the water station. I grabbed a cup of water, gulp down the water before resuming my running.

This time, I kept focused and finished the rest of the race without any more stopping. I finished with an unofficial time of 34.03 -- disappointing since I've been breaking 34 minutes the last 2 race. I guess the lack of training was really evident. Now I'm worried for my New Balance race in Clark -- that will be my first 10K run. I have 3 more weeks -- I better buckle down and train!!

I don't have as many pictures this time. I brought my SLR with me but when I was about to start shooting, I found out that my daughter didn't return the SD Card that she borrowed last week. I ended up with a useless camera and settled for my phone camera. I took a few pictures before and after the race -- but it was disappointing not to be able to take my usual photo recording of the event.

Jorge in a tender moment with his son, Raymond, who also joined the 5K run.

After the race, I was able to see/meet familiar and new faces. I finally introduced myself to Jovie (Bald Runner) and Philip (Foreign Runner). I was fortunate also to be introduced to Lance Gokongwei and Fernando Zobel as they were having breakfast at Starbucks with friends Jajo Quintos and Nina Huang; they're all familiar faces in the running scene, this time running in the 10K race. I also said hi to Jay (Prometheus Commeth), Coach Rio and Alan Esguerra. Of course, without my usual camera ready, no pictures -- next time, hopefully.

13 comments:

Nora, the golden girl said...

Sorry I wasn't able to run with you today, Johnny. I missed the OctobeRUN because of my sick daughter.

Don't be so disappointed with your time. We're not young anymore. We should at least be grateful to the Lord that at our age, we still have what it takes to run races. And very few aged 50+ people could do that.

Hope to run 5k with you and Wayne in the VSO this Nov. 9.

Have you registered for 10k in the NB Power Race? Pass muna ako sa 10k. Di pa kaya ng powers ko hehehe...

Nora, the golden girl said...

Regarding your request in my blog, let's talk about it when we meet. I'm also using a laptop but the pictures and comments are OK. Don't know how to solve the problem that you mentioned.

Anonymous said...

It was nice bumping into you guys again after your breakfast. I honestly thought everyone had gone home after we completed our second 10k. Hey I have the copy of Runnersworld with the 5weeks to a fast 5-K you want a copy? Let me know!

OT: With Nora not running the 10K in NB a lot of her age group are now heaving a sigh of relief!

Anonymous said...

Hi Johnny. It is still a good time. Goodluck on your first 10K. Kaya yan!

Anonymous said...

Hi Johnny. Congratulations on the 5K. Though you're disappointed, you have three weeks before the 10K. If you can, join the 5K at VSO the week before and use it as a training run.

Anyway, good post and photos as always. I'll see you very soon!

Bro J said...

Hi Johnny, congrats on your run. I got a photo of you at the final stretch with Ting. Feel free to grab it. Hope to meet you in future races. God bless!

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Nora. Sorry to hear about your daughter -- hope she's feeling better. I'm still glad I can run and get fit. I just need to work on my mental toughness -- a lot of times it's not physical -- I need to make sure I don't succumb to the urge to stop. Anyway, I'm sure there is still time to toughen up -- physically and mentally.

Unfortunately, I'll be in Baguio during the week of the VSO run but I'll motor down in time for the NB race.

Don't worry about the blog issue. I'm not sure what the problem is also.

Good luck on the VSO run!!

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Jay, good to meet up with you too!! We can't meet up for breakfast because you always have to run longer than us!!! he! he!

I think I have that issue too -- I have not thought of training for a faster run yet because I was just concentrating on endurance and completing the run. But, as soon as I accomplish a 10K, then, I will concentrate on the speed side.

And you're right about Nora -- there is a whole group that's glad they are now have a chance!!! he! he!

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Vballrunner -- thanks for the encouragements. Will definitely work on finishing the 10K run respectably.

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Wayne -- thanks for all the positive comments --- you're always great with the inspiring thoughts. I won't be able to run at the VSO event as I'll be up in Baguio for our management conference. I'm hoping I'll have enough time to train in a high altitude setting. Catch you at NB instead.

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Bro J -- looks like it's a case of mistaken identity. The one running with Ting at the finish line is Dante Briones and not me. I ran the 5K race while Dante and Ting ran in the 10K event. A good photo and a good laugh, though!!! he! he! Thanks.

Bro J said...

Hi Johnny, i"m really sorry about it. I guess we really have to meet in future races. Atleast i'm correct with Ting, hehehe. I'll make it up with you.... kapag tumakbo ka uli i'll make sure na ikaw na yung makukuhanan ko,hahaha. ok ba yun. Siguro kapg nakita ko na si Ting or si Dante eh pwede na kita itanong sa kanila? My apologies again.

Nora, the golden girl said...

Touched naman ako sa pagkabilib nyo sa akin . . . Hope I can live up to your high expectations heh heh . . .

Eia's fever stopped already but her whole body including face is full of chicken pox! Nakakaawa talaga.

Sayang you wont be with us at the VSO Johnny. I'm gonna miss you there. I got through my first race at the Fort because of you. I will never forget that.

Good luck in your first 10k race at the NB Power Race. Don't lose heart if ever you decide to stop and just walk in between your runs. Remember: "Rest if you must, but don't you quit!"

Go, go Johnny go, GO!