Saturday, October 11, 2008

Running at the Adidas KOTR

It's a Saturday!! I'm running today and it feels so weird. My Saturdays are normally golf days but today is one of the biggest running event of the year -- the Adidas King of the Road race. I would have wanted this to be my graduation race -- to move up from 5Ks to a 10K at least -- but, the 1 1/2 months layoff just derailed the plan. Instead, this has become another one of my back-to-form runs. But, whatever the outcome, it was fantastic imbibing the atmosphere of a really well-organized event.

Mama Ting has been prodding all of us to stay in the running circuit and she, as usual, took care of all the registration logistics -- otherwise, it might have been another golf day or worst, a stay-at-home day!! We agreed to meet at The Fort at around 5:30am since the race will start at 6am. By the time I arrived at around 5:25, the place was already alive with all sorts of people and the parking lots near Bonifacio High Street were already packing up. I tried going past Bonifacio High Street to get to the parking lot at the Fort but saw a huge traffic jam, so I had to go through a longer route to the destination. It was only later that I discovered that I almost turned into the start lane -- that's why it was packed!! Also, the 21K racers were off at 5:30am -- that's why I was being waved away from the race route!!


The starting area was already crowded by the time I got there. The race announcer said more than 5,000 runners joined!!


My son is on a retreat this weekend. As such, he took my point-and-shoot camera with him. I had to bring my larger Nikon D40 with me -- I brought it down after parking to get some pre-race shots but soon found out I was running out of time, so I decided to shoot a few shots and return the camera to car. On the way, I passed through the portalets and guess who I saw -- Nora, the Golden Girl!! I introduced myself and she was surprised to hear her name called but she shouted my name in surprise after!!! But, I needed to run to the car so I said I'll catch her at the race area.

When I got back into the holding area, I was able to hook up with Mama Ting and Dante. Good thing I saw Nora standing on the left side of the area where we were, so we hooked up again and had a few pictures taken with her camera. Unfortunately, my camera was already in the car -- sorry Nora, I'll have to rely on your camera for our picture.

Pretty soon, the 10K race was off and we were ready to run our 5K race. Since I ran the Takbo - Breast Friends race last week at ULTRA, I had had no time to train -- not a single run!!! So, I came into this race with no major expectations except to try and finish.

The course was fairly flat. Unlike the 10K and 21K race which brought the runners out of The Fort area into the Makati CBD, we stayed inside Bonifacio Global City. As in any mass start, the first few meters was an obstacle course were we had to swerve around slower runners and walkers. Mama Ting and Dante led the way through the crowd and I bumped into Nora a few meters out near Serendra. I started strong and kept the pace until S&R.

At this point, Nora came abreast and asked what my pace was. I said I didn't know!! he! he! I was just running to finish so no goals -- besides, I didn't have the gear to do this!! (Mama Ting is excited about her new Garmin, she'll be waiting for Dante to bring this back in his next trip!! Maybe I should do the same thing.).

As we neared the British School, I couldn't help myself and slowed down to a walk. After a few meters walking, I restarted running until I reached the corner of 26th Street right after Market! Market! I had to walk a few more meters before running again -- and kept on running until the finished line!! I was surprised to see that the official time was below 34 minutes -- probably a 33.43 finish!! Definitely better than expected!!




We took some pictures after the race near the Adidas Merchandise Tent -- Moi, wife of Ed Francisco, was around to observe the race for some future plans -- watch out for it.

Adidas had a merchandise tent besides the Awarding Stage. A number of products were available for sale but unfortunately (or fortunately) my wallet was in the car. There were rondallas (our version of drum and bugle corps) around to entertain the crowd.

I hooked with Dante and Mama Ting after and we visited the Adidas kiosk for awhile. I decided to get my camera to take more pictures. Afterwards, we decided to walk to Market! Market! to have our breakfast at Max. The rest of the Bayantrade runners joined us. It was a record for the BTG Milers -- 23 runners enter the race today!!



A very happy Dante treated his growing BTG Milers to a free breakfast!! Great way to promote wellness at The Bayantrade Group. Run and Eat for Free After!!

After a breakfast that included the tasty Max Friend Spring Chicken, Mama Ting and I walked back to the race area to check on Dave and Jorge who were both running their first 21K. We couldn't see them but ended up meeting Jay (Prometheus Cometh) and Dindo (RunningDatCom) as well as Coach Rio. Later on Ting sent me a text message from Dave -- both Jorge and Dave did quite well on their 21K although Dave was cramping up towards the last 3Km.


I got to meet up with Jay (Prometheus Commeth) and Dindo (RunningDATcom) and took a few pictures. We should be featured in each other's blogs soon!! he! he!

It was actually an inspiring day -- a surprisingly good run, finally meeting up with a number of the runner bloggers and just being part of the a great crowd at a great race!! Congratulations Rudy Biscocho and Adidas -- until the next run!!



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sayang, didnt see you this morning. was able to beat my pr, finishing the 10k at 58:12. Btw, the 10k route was relatively easy, except for the edsa flyover part.

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Allan, Oo nga sayang!! I guess you guys were in front kasi -- and we finished ahead of you. I should get your phone number para we can text each other during race days. Congrats on a great run!! I hope to get back into a good training rhythm without injury so that I can do a 10K by November!

Anonymous said...

Great to meet you too! Sayang hindi ako naka join sa breakfast nyo! See you in future races!

Unknown said...

With a time like that, you might have done the 10km. Congrats on your time. Glad you enjoyed. It is always nice to share a day like this with friends.... Keep fit and see you at the races

Nora, the golden girl said...

It's really great to finally meet you Johnny! Your pictures don't do you justice. You look slimmer and handsomer(is there such a word) in person! Promise...
I'll post our picture as soon as I get the chance. Di pa ako makacompose ng blog because of my migraine and family obligations. But I did receive very good news today (actually kahapon pa yata napost ni Joe ang comment). According to Joe, he heard my name as winner in our age category. Will still call Mr. B tomorrow to confirm though I doubt if Joe is simply hallucinating. Sayang nga eh. I left right after the race.
Congratulations Johnny for that great run. I wanted very much to run with you kaya lang nauna na yong pinsan ko na new recruit ko kaya had to go ahead.
Yes, Johnny. Let's run 10k come November 9. Good luck to both of us.

Anonymous said...

Finally, another road run from Johnny. Missed your blogs for a while. Hope to catch up with you soon. I have a lot of ruuners/bloggers yet to met.

Anonymous said...

Hi Johnny. Congratulations on the 5K and it looks like you're back. Nice photos, particularly with DATC and Prom. I'll see you soon!

Nora, the golden girl said...

Hello again, Johnny. You can now view our picture in my latest post. I changed my mind about running 10k this Nov. 9. I don't think I'm ready. I will only run 5k. How about you?

Anonymous said...

here's my mobile number 09175385775 and email add slesguerra18@yahoo.com. fyi, my upcoming race plans are as follows:
1019 Botak Paa-Bilisan
1026 Octoberun Festival
1109 Kabahagi Ako Fundraising Run
1116 New Balance Power Race.

best wishes and see you at the races

Johnny Sy said...

Hi guys, sorry for the late responses -- it's harder to keep up with blogging!! he! he!

Hi Jay -- great to meet you that day. Sure hope I'll be running along side of you in longer runs soon.

Hi Philip -- it's getting myself psychologically and physically ready to run over 1 hour that's the challenge now -- but, I'm sure we'll do it -- you guys are inspiration enough.

Hi Nora -- congrats on your podium finish!!! Great run and great to have met you.

Hey Jinoe!!! Looks like you've been busy with your wedding prep -- I'm sure it will be a fantastic day. Maybe you'll have your honeymoon runs!! Catch you in a race soon!

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Allan,

Got it. Will text you mine soon.

Catch you at the races again.