Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Still Alive --- Just Recuperating

It's been over a month since I've updated my blogsite -- nope, I've not abandoned the site or running but I've suffered physical ailments and injuries that have effectively sidelined me and set me back in my fitness drive.

But, I do aim to return to active running -- it's just taking much longer than I expected.

It's been frustrating dealing with the setbacks. I guess my body has just undergone too much stress in too short a time -- including the traveling that I had to make. I've had to deal with tendinitis, gout and some chest pains (which gave me quite a scare). Fortunately, none of these were too serious -- I just needed to give my body some breathing space.

I also had to space out my sports activities. Being active in a number of sports actually was good when I was younger -- now I have to schedule them properly to allow more recovery time -- I guess I really have to admit that age is not just in the mind -- ha! ha!

Well, Mama Ting has prodded me to get back so I'm going to join this Sunday's Takbo! Breast Friends 2008. Will slowly break in at a 5K -- this without any adequate training runs. The goal -- just to finish!!! This will hopefully start my trek back. Ting has also lined me up with the Adidas King of the Road run on October 11.

As in all of life's endeavors, one will hit walls, fall down or suffer defeats -- the important thing is getting back up and moving on -- that's what I'm doing and that's what we Archers will be doing. For all the Blue Eagles out there -- Congratulations and enjoy the one year bragging rights!!! We'll be back next year!! he! he!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dont feel bad about the loss against Ateneo. It might affect your recovery. Hehehe. Im glad to hear from you again. Take care and hope you;d get better.

Nora, the golden girl said...

Welcome back Johnny! Take Jinoe's advise OK?
Age is simply a matter of the mind. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter hah hah ...
Sabi nga ni Jaymie, we are only competing against ourselves. No need to rush.
So take it slow but sure Johnny. I have my training program but I don't even attempt to stick to it if I feel pain somewhere in my body. I know what you're going through--the aches and the pains all over. Sometimes, a simple change of sleeping position brings about a sudden twist of pain.
Exercise is supposed to make us healthier but there is such thing as 'overtraining'. If you need to rest 2-3 days after a heavy workout, then do so! That's what I do. Always listen to your body, Johnny and please--watch your diet.
Grabe! Ang haba na nito ah. Sobrang miss ko lang kasi chikahan natin (thru our blogs) kaya napahaba...
See you at the KOTR!

Anonymous said...

Hi Johnny. Good to see your post. Are you going to be running at the NB Power Race in November? Gene Ordanza is going to be running and we hope that you can join us. We need one to two more runners to share a room at Clark. Let me know please.

Thanks again and good luck at the KOTR.

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Jinoe!! Imagine, I'm just responding to your post from last week!! Even work has piled up and it has taken some time to clear up and take care of my blogging duties!!

The loss to Ateneo?? Tapos na yun -- moving forward. he! he! he! Did you run at the Adidas KOTR? Hope to catch you soon.

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Nora,

Great to finally meet you today. All your advise are right on the dot -- tigas lang minsan ang ulo. Hope you had a good run today -- I'm sure definitely better than mine -- you were running miles ahead of me!! he! he! he!

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Wayne,

I'm still working on my schedule as I be in Baguio for our Annual Management Conference. If I do join, I'll probably have to join the 10K. But, I might not be staying at Clark but will drive in early morning -- but, nothing is sure yet. Will keep you posted. Your trip is counting down pretty quickly. Catch you soon!