Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Turning 50

Yesterday, June 3, 2008, was a huge milestone in my life -- I turned half a century!! I'm still having a hard time grasping the significance of this event. Normally, people reaching this point in their life actually have a grand celebration. I've been contemplating about whether to actually celebrate or not for the last few months. Somehow, given all the things that have happened to me in my life -- I'm not sure whether there is anything to celebrate.

My friend Jorge did say we should always celebrate life. I received a text message yesterday that got me thinking -- this came from two friends, both Lasallians -- Gerry Achacoso and Noli Acosta (Lasallian and Rotarian friend) -- Birthdays remind us of God's goodness in the past and His promise of more blessings in the future.

What should I celebrate about? First a celebration of friendships -- without my friends, life would be more difficult than it is. My friends from High School are really dear -- they always remember -- and it was fortituous that we had a grand reunion last May 24-25 at Canyon Woods. Saw many of my friends who I rarely see -- it was good reminiscing about the good ole past -- makes you forget your age and feel young again.

My Lasallian friends -- both old and new -- Somehow my Lasallian world keeps getting bigger -- old friends become stronger buddies and new friends bring in a whole new world. I even got featured in Animo Magazine.

My Rotary friends -- especially my classmates -- the Dream Presidents. We are all practicing our song number for the Inaguration of our Classmate -- Ed Limon -- as the new District Governor of R.I. D3830. Somehow, the singing and practices brought many of us closer together -- even if it was such a long time ago when we were presidents.

My ABS-CBN and Lopez Group friends -- colleagues of course but also friends. That's the beauty of working in the Philippines -- we not only work together, we end up as friends.

Of course, the best blessing I have is my family. That's whom I spent this precious day with.

I spent most of the day in bed -- I guess recuperating from golfing Saturday and Monday. I tried to wake up for a workout at the gym at 5:30am but my body just refused to budge. I did make up today at the gym. And also, I swam around 50 laps in our small 20-meter pool in the afternoon. I knew I had to burn some calories because of the feast we will partake that evening.

We had decided that afternoon that the family was gonna celebrate my birthday with dinner at a new place I recently discovered. The Spiral at Sofitel Philippine Plaza. My wife and I knew Philippine Plaza when it was still the Westin Philippine Plaza -- we should know, we had our wedding reception there Jan. 11, 1985. We actually showed our kids the poolside where the reception was held -- they were in awe because it was a breathtaking place for a wedding reception -- it just happened to have another party ongoing that night -- they could actually picture how it was set up 23 years ago.

Dinner was sumptuous -- because the buffet was mind boggling -- just tons and tons of food and choices. On the way in, I bumped into a good friend -- Mike Navarette and his wife Gina. They were there as part of the ongoing despedidas they were having prior to leaving the Philippines for good for Canadian shores (Halifax in particular). Lo and behold, their hosts included Nimfa Bautista, who is the Reservations Manager for the place!!! And Mike, the good friend that he is, actually remembered it was my birthday -- as such Nimfa found out and made arrangements for a cake to brought in together with a grand singing of the Birthday tune by the waiters and waitresses -- what an embarrassing moment -- in front of everyone eating there!!

We finished the night taking pictures by the pool side. Stephanie, ever the artist, found the light beams from the tower lamp were great mood enhancers for the pictures. The results you can see when I finish posting the photos.

I guess it wasn't a bad day after all -- you contemplate the blessings God gave you and you celebrate it with your family in a place that actually help started the family!! Sometimes life's poetry just need to be experience -- when you do, that's what God's gifts are all about.

No comments: