Monday, June 23, 2008

Bouts of Gout

Seems like reaching 50 also means getting a dose of physical ailments rarely seen when younger -- this was my painful experience -- GOUT!!! Over the first 2 weekends of June, I had gout attacks that left me painfully disabled -- my left foot was swollen and I experienced enough pain that forced me to stop working out and even caused me to skip work for a few days because I just couldn't walk!!

While I had attacks before, it wasn't as debilitating as these attacks were -- just a few doses of Naproxen and I was back in action. This time, I had to take stronger medicines for the pain -- Colchicine. I could stand a few days of this medicine but after 2 days, my stomach just couldn't handle it, I had to stop. I had to start maintenance medicines also for uric acid -- Allopurinol. This will help bring my uric acid levels down. During my last exam, my uric acid level was slightly above normal but it wasn't too bad. When I mentioned this to my friend, Dr. Elis Maghirang (a member of the DLSAA Board), he said that I should actually take a look at my diet.

So, I tried to examine what went through the two weeks diet-wise that could have caused these attacks. I know that I was already cutting back on peanuts (my favorite snack) and alcohol (have been dry for quite a few weeks). It only dawned on me later that crustaceans and mollusks are also high in purines. I then realized that the eating binges I went through because of my birthday celebrations were high in shrimps, prawns, oysters, crabs and mussels -- those could be the primary causes of this affliction.

So, last week, I went on purine-less diet -- no shrimps, peanuts, alcohol or innards. I was worried that my weekend golf also contributed to the problem as the two previous weekend attacks always followed my golf!!! Thank God this weekend was the first without any attack -- I was ready for my race on June 22 -- the Manila Half-Marathon Challenge. Alas, this was derailed by a storm called Frank. But, that's another post.

7 comments:

jimmyj said...

For the past 20 years (I’m 50) I’ve been afflicted with GOUT … the past 2 years I’ve been able to run 4 marathons and a few ½ marathons.

I’ve battled attacks throughout this time that would upset my workout schedules – the worst was just after the Shamrock Marathon at Va Beach in March. I was down for 2 weeks. I wanted to run another marathon that June but I just adjusted my goals. I will run in the Suntrust Marathon at Richmond this November. My times are slow 41/2 hours but I’m also a Clydesdale. At around 215 lbs….

I can feel the Gout coming on and will normally take extra Colchocine to flush out the bad. I figure now that I’m not going to reach a lot of my goals but ….. I’ll keep running marathons and maybe try for some tri-athalons.

Keep up a good diet and stay hydrated 

Jimmy J.

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for dropping by. Boy, at least I know that one can battle gout and still win. I'm now learning how to respond to symptoms so that I can take the medicines to keep it in check. I take Cochicine also to help respond and keep the pain down.

I'm also learning what food triggers the attack. It doesn't seem to be across the board for all high-purine foods. So far, one of the definite triggers is Beer -- that's a bummer!!! So far, wine and vodka doesn't seem to have the same effect.

I hope to do half- and full-marathons in the next year or so. Your story is inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Dr. Rory Lewis said...

Jimmy,

I am a marathon runner and a cat-2 cyclist who has had experiences with Gout. As a research scientist I have found that not only is Allopurinol really a benign drug that simply stops the process of crystal formations of uric acid, it actually helps free radicals and oxidants from forming when we run or cycle ling distances.

Something else for when you have a gout attack - 1 teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar with water every two hours it taste like crap but it melts the crystals.

Good luck.

Dr. Lewis

Anonymous said...

Thanks doc...

needed to hear that since last week was my 6th marathon (and a 10k too)

I'm feeling a small attack coming on and I'm using that vinegar treatment today because of cramping too.

I'm hoping that a massage will help the cramping and the vinegar the gout. I've a 10k this weekend planned.

Jimmy J
: Keep on running

John Paolo said...

Where in Manila would you buy Apple Cider Vinegar? Is that found in your basic supermarket? So it should be one teaspoon with one glass of water? How long before the pain subsides with this?

Boutwithgout said...

Great to see that running this much is not impossible even with gout diagnosis. Exercise seems to keep my internals balanced so it's a must for me. Havent tried a marathon yet but I hope to one day train up towards it. I have gotten into century bike rides lately and so I have spent some months training. I think the training and the diet that I got on leading up to the races and the running events have helped ward off gout episodes so I'm sticking to them. My blog at www.boutwithgout.com

Laurie Hughes said...

I really appreciate  DR AKHIGBE,my name is LAURIE HUGHES . I will never stop testifying DR AKHIGBE. Happiness is all I see now I never thought that I will be cured from HIV virus again. DR AKHIGBE did it for me. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HIV) for the past 2 years now, I have spent a lot of money going from one place to another, from church to church, hospitals have been my home every day. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day,  I saw a testimony on how DR AKHIGBE helped someone in curing his HIV disease in internet quickly I copied his email which is drrealakhigbe@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days, after using the herbal cure and i did, behold I was free from the deadly disease,till now no HIV in me again he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now,all the testimony of DR AKHIGBE is true  please BROTHER and SISTER, MOTHER and FATHER he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or you can whats App his mobile number on +2348142454860  He can also cure these diseases like HIV and AIDS HERPES,DIABETICS,CANCER, HEPATITIS B,CHRONIC DISEASES, ASTHMA, HEART DISEASES, EXTERNAL INFECTION, EPILEPSY, STROKE, MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS,GOUT,  NAUSEA,VOMITING OR DIARRHEA LUPUS,ECZEMA,BACK PAIN,JOINT PAIN. .ETC .please email drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    or whats APP him  ..+2349010754824.  He is a real good and honest man.  
website...  https:drrealakhigbe.weebly.com