Tuesday, January 20, 2009

PSE Bull Run 2009


The most anticipated race for the start of 2009 finally arrived. Not because it's the greatest race ever but it's the first race for the year!! Having set goals for 2009, it's time to see how far I've come since the long lay-off in December. I wasn't as anxious as my previous 10Ks but I wanted it to be a good prelude to my next challenge -- the 15K Happy Run next Sunday.

Okay, okay -- I'm sure many are surprised -- You're running 15K next week??? I know, I know!!! I'm pushing myself beyond what is uncomfortable!!! (That's your fault Gene (Barracuda) -- you told me to go beyond my comfort zone!!) I guess peer pressure and the threat of no free breakfast (what excuses!!) pushed me to decide that I'll run 15K next week. Besides, there was no 10K race in the agenda and my friends, Jorge & Dave, said that they have decided to treat us for breakfast but only for those who run 15K!!! How can you refuse that?? So, I do hope the breakfast will be worth the pain I'm gonna go through this Sunday -- but, I getting ahead of myself, 15K is still the next event.

So, I'm running my first race for 2009 and it's my fourth 10K race since I started running last year. I feel good about my preparation. While I would have wanted to train some more, my health condition didn't give too much time to train. I did manage to sneak around 3 good training runs in 2 weeks.


I arrived around just before 5:30am at Bonifacio Global City but was surprised to see that the race was starting at a different location compared to all the races last year. This was at an empty lot near for the former Dencio's restaurant. I was waiting for Mama Ting for my race packet. There was a few anxious moments as Ting and I lost track of each other as she didn't bring her cellphone with her to the starting area. Thank God we saw each other in time for me to put on my race bib and get into the starting area.

I had some Kodak moments with Nora, who was going to run her first 10K!!! Welcome to the 10K world Nora. Also had a few minutes to chat with Dindo (a.k.a. DATC) and a friend from high school and college, Mike Bangayan, who is a serious triathlete, one of my idols!!
This will be my first 10K run at Bonifacio Global City. I was apprehensive because I wasn't familiar with the route and distance milestones. So when the announcer said ready, get set, go -- I just sucked it up and we were off.

I felt good at the start -- my pacing seemed comfortable, even with the first uphill stretch up the McKinley stretch. Good start since I usually have a difficult time with this hilly stretch. Even as we passed Essensa, my pacing and breathing still felt comfortable.

As we reached Bayani Road towards Heritage Park, I was suprised that runners went past the turn. I would have thought a left turn then would have been logical. But, just a few meters after, we hit the first u-turn and then a quick right into Bayani Road.

This is where is gets a bit tricky since we were entering the hilly segment. I was still okay reaching the u-turn point near C5. The return route was really daunting since you can see the uphill climb all the way to the top. I reached the water station at the top of the hill okay -- took the time to imbibe some water.

This is where my run broke down. I had to intersperse around 3 walk breaks. But right after the Essensa, I continued without stopping until the Finish line. It was actually inspiring to the see the 7 minute/km pacer passing me and Nora just beside him. That forced me to concentrate until the end.

As everyone now knows, the Finish line queue was a terrible ending to the race. In the end, I relied on my watch -- it registered 1 hour 10 minutes!!! Much better than my first three 10Ks. As with all the other runners, the official time is probably not relevant but I'm happy with this run -- not yet perfect but it felt good and should help ease some of the pain for this Sunday's 15K. Let's see what happens!!!

Photo-op at the Finish with Nora and her friend plus Joaquin, a Lasallian Civil Engineering graduate.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on a new 10K PR! You are really improving by leaps and bounds! Too bad we missed each other then. See you next Sunday at the 15K!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the 10K PR, Johnny!

Wouldn't it be fun to get another one?

QuickSilver

Nora, the golden girl said...

You're right, Johnny. The official time is no longer relevant here, considereing that it took us years to arrive at the finish line hehehe . . . The most important thing is, we enjoyed ourselves and we finished injury-free.

Good luck in your first 15K Johnny! Have fun tomorrow!

My friend in the picture is Vener, the very fast runner behind the blog www.rununlimited.blogspot.com. I didn't know that you're not yet familiar with each other. I could have introduced you to each other. He's also running 15K this Sunday, together with his lovely wife Christy.

run unlimited said...

Hi Johnny, congratulations on your PR run. Cheers for a great start of the running year 2009. See you again on the happy run.

Vener - run unltd.

Bong said...

I just discovered your blog and it's good reading. Congrats for the PR and good luck on your 15k run.

Just take it easy, enjoy, and just like what Nora said, finish the race injury free.