Monday, January 26, 2009

Happy Run 15K -- DNS

What do you get when you've created so much hype and expectations and then --- you just didn't run??? A bummer of a let-down -- for me and my friends!!!

What's DNS? Since there is DNF (Did not finished) there is DNS for Did Not Start!!!

Somehow, events conspired for me to miss this most anticipated run for January -- my supposedly first 15K run!!

I was trying very hard to manage my diet for Saturday (Jan 24) but, that was not meant to be. Somehow, somewhere, I made a mistake and the result was a bad tummy for Saturday evening. This was compounded by a Chinese New Year get together with my high school batchmates -- really good Chinese dinner at A Hong Restaurant in Quezon City. But, my tummy wasn't the same the whole night.

Then, my usually reliable alarm clock, my Sony Ericsson p990i, decided to conk out at this particular instance. The alarm just didn't go off. I would later find out that if you don't clean up your text message boxes and it goes above 1200 msgs, the phone just stops functioning -- not just incoming messages but also the alarm!!

So, I ended up not waking up for the event and missed not just the run but the birthday breakfast bash for my friends Jorge and Dave!!!
I'm heartbroken, I'm disappointed and I'm pissed!!! But, what can I do. I humbly apologize to my friends and will just have to contend with making a better go with February races. Maybe I will just prepare harder for the 15K race I'll join in February -- the Asian Hospital Run at the Fort on the 22nd. Maybe this was divine intervention telling me I'm not ready for the 15K -- but, I'll definitely try to be ready in February.



Disappointment aside, let me take advantage of this post to greet everyone a Happy Chinese New Year!!! Kung Hei Fat Choi to everyone!!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Johnny,

Life happens. A DNS is not too bad.

Happy New Year!

QS

Nora, the golden girl said...

Johnny, no wonder I couldn't find you anywhere! I really meant to arrive early at the venue to wish you good luck for your first 15k. It's so easy to spot you because of your towering height. Kaya pala di kita makita, eh wala ka. Anyway, I'm sure you're feeling much better now. There will be lots of races you can prepare for. In God's time, not ours.

Take care, Johnny!

Anonymous said...

It happens...we just try not to miss the "major" races like adidas, new balance, etc. True, there's another 15k next month so maybe next time.

Bro J said...

Hi johnny, hope you're feeling better now. There will be more races to come. See you soon! Keep on running

Anonymous said...

Hey I was looking for you too! No worries. There are more 15K's coming up next month. In the meantime rest up and train! (Oh and happy new year to you too...)

Anonymous said...

Johnny, Happy New Year! As QS says, a DNS is not too bad. It's actually better than DNF (did not finish). Please take care.

Unknown said...

Cellphones mess up and alarm clocks don't ring. These things happen. Next time have both a cellphone and alarm clock and someone else to wake you just to be sure :) See you at the next run :)

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Qrunning, Nora, Dindo, BroJ, Jay, Wayne and Jamie,

Many thanks for the words of encouragement. Sorry for the very late response. Kinda hard keeping up with the blogging if I'm not there at the races. But, rest assured, this minor setback isn't stopping me. It probably was divine intervention -- means I need to prepare more for the coming long distances. Am glad there are many of you out there who provide inspiration to aspiring and struggling runners like me.

Catch you in a race soon!

Johnny