Sunday, January 4, 2009

First Run For 2009

I've been out of running circulation since my last 10K run during the UP ICTUS run in December, 2008. That's about a 3-week layoff from any running. In between, my body was exposed to all sorts of abuse from the different Christmas parties and family reunions -- all the way until Jan. 1, 2009. In fact, it was unusual in that 3 week spread that I played only 3 rounds of golf, despite the long holiday break from work!!! Thankfully, despite all the abuse, I was able to maintain my weight within a reasonable variance off my current target weight of 200lbs.

Despite having a bout of sore throat and cough yesterday and sleeping late because of a marathon session watching downloaded TV shows, I decided to head off to U.P. to try and do my first run for the year!! Actually, Run Ma Ting texted early last night inviting us to run a 10K today. Unfortunately, I didn't see the text until late last night. So I didn't respond to her text but hoped that she and the others will push through.

I arrived around 6:45am and parked near the U.P. Theater. There were plenty of people already running and walking around the U.P. Oval. After a long layoff, I wasn't sure I could do a 10K but I was going to make sure I go beyond a 5K run. I wasn't sure of the measured distance of the U.P. Oval but Ting mentioned that we'll run at least 4 rounds.

The difficult part of running the U.P. Oval is the first stretch after the Oblation. That portion is actually a long uphill run. The gradient isn't too difficult -- but it's still a long uphill stretch. When you reach the end, you're actually rewarded with the reverse downhill run. The first round was relatively easy. When I started my second round, it became a slight psychological challenge. But, the last three 10K runs have helped me manage 5K distances pretty well. It's always the distances after 5K that are posing some problems for me. 

As such, upon completing the 2nd round, I was determined to continue at least one more round without stopping. As usual, the uphill stretch became quite a mental challenge. It helped when I started counting the cat's eyes in the middle of the road. The problem with counting the cat's eyes is that they're not in synch with my running stride. But, it helped me stay focused with the run. Once I reached the corner, it became a bit easier -- but, I was still mentally challenged with completing the 3rd round. I decided then to just finish 3 rounds instead of the 4 initially targeted. I'll use this as a base to start my 2-week training program for the first race of the year -- the PSE Bull Run.

I finished my 3 rounds in 46 minutes 13 seconds. I later found out from Ting that I covered 6.6 kms for the 3 rounds. Nothing to crow about but at least I started my trek back to running. Now, I need to maximize the next 2 weeks to get back to running form. I just pray I can continue training without injuries. So far so good.

6 comments:

goooooood girl said...

i like your blog......

Nora, the golden girl said...

You ran 10K at the UP ICTUS Run and we didn't see each other? I wonder how that happened since only a few runners joined that very memorable run!

I just want to say this for the record: Johnny, I am truly envious of your running history. You already completed 3 10K Runs? Samantalang ako, magsisimula pa lang ng 10K.

Yes Johnny, I have finally found the courage to face 10K. See you at the PSE Bull Run! Hope we can meet before the race start para sabay tayo just like in the KOTR.

Good luck in your training. An injury-free 2009 to all of us!

Bro J said...

Happy new year Johnny, We were there at UP too last Sunday.Di tayo nagkita, sayang! Hope to finally meet you this year.

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Nora -- I guess because they separated the 10K runners from the 5K runners, we didn't bump into each other.

So you're finally moving up to the 10K level -- great!!! I'm sure you'll do better than me. I'll catch you at the PSE Bull Run!!

Johnny Sy said...

Happy New Year, too, Bro. J!!! Sayang -- I guess, I was too focused on just completing my run -- wasn't really looking around for people I might recognize! he! he! I'm sure we'll bump into each other soon. Ingat Bro!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Johnny. Running is running. The workout is a good sign. Happy New Year. I see great things ahead for you this year.