Monday, May 4, 2009

Squeezing in Runs

I've been frustrated of late. Since my runs in Australia, my workouts have been sporadic. As such, my cardiovascular fitness level has deteriorated -- enough for me to feel difficulty with even just a 5K run. While you don't want to use excuses to justify this situation, it has become really difficult for me to find the right time to do my training runs.

April and May should be summer months. But, with global warming on the upswing, we are experiencing a really wet "summer" so far. While I do cherish running in the rain, it's kinda hard when it's a raging thunderstorm.

Likewise with work. Together with the usual responsibilities, you have visitors from abroad that you have to entertain. This results in late nights, making early morning runs almost impossible. Sigh!! This wasn't a problem during my younger days!! he! he!

So, you try and squeeze in runs whenever you can find spare time. Sometimes, I try and squeeze in a 5K run late in the morning -- knowing I'm might be a bit late for work. Sometimes, you try and squeeze in an early evening run -- although the pollution is at its worst. The worst is squeezing in a run very late in the morning -- you then contend with the heat of the summer sun. That's when you wish it was overcast with even a slight drizzle.

I guess you really just have to look for whatever hole you have in your schedule and squeeze in a run. It's been awhile since I ran a race -- this Sunday's Botak will be a nice return prior to another trip abroad. I'll need to squeeze in a couple more quality runs and hope that it will be enough for a respectable 10K finish on Sunday. I guess Squeeze is the Word -- you make do -- as in poker, you play the hand you're dealt!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Johnny, good post. I've never been to Australia but I hear the weather is different whereever you are on the continent.

When will you be visiting SF again? Take care. I'm right now unemployed with the closing of the New Balance store.

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Wayne,

You're probably right about the weather in Australia -- since it is a continent! he! he!

I'm flying to US this Sunday but my itinerary is so packed, I'll be in SF only for a day to visit the office. I'll try to catch you on email while I'm there and maybe talk on the phone.

Hang in there buddy.