Monday, March 23, 2009

Condura 21K - Barely Making It




You can tell that it was going to be a huge event!! The first half-marathon event of the year. Organizers of the event were giving out estimates of 6,000 runners in total and 1,200 runners in the 21K event alone!! This is a major indication of how far running has come in the last 3 years! To top it all, the runner-blogger community was abuzzed with frenzy -- Team Bald Runner was in major preparations for a good showing with Bald Runner himself targeting a blistering pace for the event. Takbo.ph and Jinoe organized a carbo-loading party Friday night that was well attended. And Bull Runner herself elevated her own media exposure with the publication of The Bull Runner Magazine on print!! Running is definitely in and I was in the thick of history in the making.

As for lowly me -- I was quietly readying myself to run my first ever 21K!! My previous race mileage topped off at 10K. My previous attempts to run 15K distances were thwarted one way or another. As such, I decided not to attract too much attention to this attempt. Despite trying to remain low-key, I was definitely apprehensive coming into race day.

Adding concerns to this was my blood pressure -- it just shot up high on Tuesday after doing my first ever 1 hour 37 minute long run. For several days after, it didn't want to settle down and I was worried it might prevent me from even starting the race.

So, I came into Sunday with a relatively nonchalant attitude. It will be my longest distance ever! With my BP condition, I wanted to make sure it was a safe workout. I also wanted to enjoy this unique race -- going the distance, experience the Skyway leg and documenting as much as possible for the blog.

Mama Ting was shepherding her wards during the days running up to Sunday through text reminders. One of her reminders was to come early as Rudy Biscocho is notorious for starting the race on time -- in fact, 5 minutes early!!! With 6,000 expected runners, parking was going to be a challenge.

And true to her predictions, by 5am, it was a jam-packed starting area that greeted everyone. Getting into the 21K starting corral was a challenge in itself. I tried waiting for the rest but had to get into the corral by myself so as not to be left behind.

Pretty soon, the race was on. I felt good at the start. I caught up with friends Jajo Quintos and Carlo Katigbak. Both were in high spirits and congratulated me on my first 21K attempt. Pretty soon, we were off doing our individual paces. By the 2K mark, there was a water station just in front of the start of the Buendia flyover. I stopped, took out my camera and started taking pictures before taking a sip from the water bottle they gave.

It was amazing watching the sea of runners going up and through the flyover. It was exhilarating watching the mass flowing through the structure. And I was smiling -- no pain from the effort and feeling ecstatic that I was part of it. On the flyer, I joined up with Jinoe and Quennie pacing another runner who was pushing a stroller with his son onboard.


After Makati Avenue, I spotted several runners veering off to the left to use a Portalet that was positioned on the island. I decided to take advantage of this as well. So while waiting for my turn, I also took pictures. That was when Mama Ting spied me holding the camera. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to shoot her during her run.


Water stations were strategically positioned every 2K and I took time to drink and take pictures along the route -- especially when we were up in the Skyway!!

What a sight -- seeing the runners climbing up the offramp. The whole stretch was about a 6Km run. The trip forward was mostly uphill, especially at the EDSA-Magallanes section. But, you can see that many of runners were awed and delighted with this stretch. I was with a trio of runners who were taking turns posing and taking pictures of each other. Quite a number had supporters waiting to catch their runners in action.



At the halfway point, there were several photographers from the Canon Club that gamely took pictures of many of the runners. I asked one of them to actually take mine beside the halfway marker! he! he! I also saw a number of Lasallian friends who were either running or supporting a runner -- Leo Camara and Jimmy Pascual.


While everything went smoothly up to the halfway point, there was more drama for me on the return leg.

After the 12K mark, I decidedly to slow down a bit -- came to walk a few feet before resuming the run. Near the offramp, my legs started to feel some cramping. I walked a few more meters but was able to resume the running until we reached the water station near Ayala Avenue. From then on, it was a battle between walking and running as I nursed the feeling of cramps in my calves and quadricep muscles. I was still able to run up to Paseo de Roxas where there was a station giving out electrolytes. By that time, my supply of Gatorade ran out.



I tried to restart the running, knowing it was just 4Kms left to the finish. Unfortunately, everytime I tried to run, I'd feel my muscles slowly cramp up. I didn't want the cramps to progress so I decided it was time to just walk home. I struck up conversations with other runners who were in the same predicament. Two of these were from Los Baños -- Miguel & Angeline. Miguel is an experienced 21K runner but it was Angeline's first. She was also cramping. We were slowly negotiating up the Buendia/Kalayaan flyover when I had to stop to nurse the cramps that were coming in stronger. At that point, another runner came up and said hi. He introduced himself as Daniel, a Singaporean, who dreams of doing an Ironman in the near future.


I found Miguel and Angeline later on ahead with the Red Cross ambulance beside them. The cramps of Angeline apparently came on full strength then and the paramedic was trying to stretch the muscles out to ease the pain. I stayed for awhile before going ahead. In a few more minutes, it was my turn to feel the heavy pain on my quadriceps -- I had to bend my legs at the knee to relieve the pain. The ambulance came by me and I was the one now being nursed by the paramedic. After a few moments of stretching, I felt good enough to start walking again. I even tried to run a bit but it just wouldn't do.

As such, I walked all the way until I reach the last 200 meters before the Finish line. I was determined to run to the Finish line, even at a slow pace. I was praying that my muscles hold up until I crossed the line. Thank God they did and I was able to run until the end. Time on the clock was at around 3 hours plus!! They gave me a finishers pack, a finishers medal and certificate. I opened the bottle of Vitwater inside the pack and downed the much needed electrolytes before heading off to the end of the corral to do some stretches. By that time, all my friends had left to do their swimming/stretching at the Makati Sports Club. I slowly walked back to my car so that I can join them at Makati Sports Club for breakfast.



I was tired, I was in pain but I was happy I didn't stop -- and have a medal to prove that I did finish. Never mind the time -- I know I can do better next time. But, it was an experience I'll never forget. When I joined up with my friends at Makati Sports Club for breakfast, Oca Sañez, exclaimed, "You were very brave Johnny, to have done the 21K with hardly any training!!" But, everyone said that they were all proud of me for finishing!! I guess you need a bit of some insanity to do what I just did but despite the pain, it was worth doing it!! I'm actually looking forward to the next 21K!! Jay Nacino (Prometheus Commeth) even joined the ribbing with his text message to me -- start your 16 week preparation for a full marathon!!! Hmm.... maybe if I feel insane enough to do so now!!! That actually might not be too far off!!! he! he!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

johnny,

really proud of what you have accomplished!! nice photo at the finish! documented talaga ang crazy feat mo!

ting said...

sorry, that should not have come out as anonymous. its from mama ting

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm sure you'd like to run more half marathons in the near future, there are a few coming up in April and May, I hope to see you in one of them!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Johnny, thank you for making it a sucsses. maybe next time we can meet in person. will see you next year - patrick concepcion / runningshield

Anonymous said...

woooow! congrats johnny! kinda been lurking to your blog. but decided to give you a props for this 21k finish!

cheers!