Sunday, August 3, 2008

Touchdown - San Francisco -- and straight to the San Francisco Marathon Expo

After 5 days of brain microwaving sessions at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Boston, I'm now in San Francisco for some needed mental relaxation -- but sprinkled with our own brand of physical exertion -- running a race!! I guess we all have our masochistic sides!! he! he!

Anyway, my original plan was to check into my hotel first after leaving the airport before heading downtown to the Embarcadero to get my race packet. But, Northwest took quite some time to get my bags out. As such, after getting my rental from Thrifty, I decided to head straight to the Expo site -- I didn't want to lose the chance to get my race packet today and explore the Race Expo itself. I'm glad I did because I found out the Expo was closing at 5pm today and won't be open tomorrow, race day. Likewise, there was a huge traffic jam at the tail end of HW101 before turning into the Bay Bridge area.

Anyway, I finally got into the parking lot of the Expo before 4pm. It's my first time to attend a Marathon Expo and I was delighted to see the various booths selling all kinds of running gear. I went straight to the back to get my bib number and race packet. I understand that they have reached 20,000 runners already for tomorrow -- that's what I call WOW!!!

That's me in front of the SF Marathon Expo Entrance

The registration and race packet pick-up center was way, way in the back!!

A lot of people were still registering or picking up their bib numbers

Pretty organized -- get your bib number and then get your T-shirt and you're done!

Number 50563 -- that's me -- gray for the 5K

After getting my packet, I called up SFRunner and worked out arrangements to meet up front in 30 minutes. I used the time to explore the booths -- actually made a number of purchases as they were giving out nice discounts on many of the goodies. I couldn't resist getting a personalized bib number t-shirt for souvenir. Unfortunately, I'm saving my full shopping for my next destination -- Orange County where my sister lives. So, aside from the few souvenir purchases, I had to restrain myself from plucking up more bargains -- the shoes were really nice bargains -- but I had to discipline myself! Sigh!!


The Expo was pretty big with numerous booths -- running gear and other marathon events

Anyway, SFrunner and I finally met up at the front gate -- it was like two long lost brothers finally seeing each other. Wayne was gracious as a host -- he introduced me to the people at Metro Sports where he worked. Great people who were so welcoming when they greeted me.

SFRunner in the flesh!! Sorry, my camera hand was a little shaky!

Wayne and I proceeded to Victor's Pizza to have an early dinner. We both ordered pasta -- he needed his carbo for his full marathon but I knew I'll need all the help even for my 5K. We had a good time exchanging notes about running and racing and about the Philippines. Soon, it was time for me to head back to my hotel -- which is still quite a long way out in Burlingame.

Anyway, tomorrow is race day!! Exciting!!

No comments: