Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My First 5K



I did it -- I finally ran my first 5K (well, theoretically, it was supposed to be a 3 Miler -- a little less than 5K but my friends Dante and Ting said that the run seemed like a 5K since they started and ended in similar locations in previous 5K's -- so maybe it is a 5K!!!).

The date was May 18, 2008 --the place The Fort and the event was Run With Pringles 3 Miles 2008.

My goal was to finish, maybe with a respectable time. I did it in 33 minutes!!! I'm happy!!!

This is my first attempt to complete a 5K race in preparation for my run on July 13 in the La Salle Cares Fun Run. Since I'm an officer in the De La Salle Alumni Association -- I have to make sure that I make a good showing in this coming event -- would be a shame to look bad! he! he!

I'm gonna scan my jersey number and the finisher's baller-id as proof that I really got up at 4am, went to The Fort and really ran my heart out for this event. (that's what I did today -- 5/27/08) Unfortunately, I don't have pictures -- next time I'll try and get some.

So!!! This will be my official getting fit blog. I started working out at Fitness First in ABS-CBN in January this year. I went back to the gym after a hiatus of 1 1/2 years because I felt really old and sluggish last December -- it really scared me!!! Walking up a flight of stairs was painful! I was breathless while saying prayers because my stomach would be pushed in while I was seated!! Approaching 50 years old was getting to be nightmarish -- I vowed that I would be in a much fitter condition come June 3 -- when I celebrate my 50 years!!! That's why I paid all that money for gym membership and to get a personal trainer. After 4 months of working out -- the pain was worth it -- I'm not done yet but I'm seeing good progress for the effort.

Johnny's Run is not just about running but about me getting fit. Hopefully, it would be a good chronicle of my efforts --- I hope to see a finish line where I can run 10k, maybe even a marathon and my body will be the leanest and fittest since I was born!!!

I've done my first 5K -- 33 minutes is okay for me -- next goals -- to break 200lbs and to run a sub-30 minute 5K. I weighed in at 201 lbs today. Have been over 200 lbs for the last 2 years. I hope I'll be below 200lbs next week -- 2 weeks to go before my birthday!! Wish me luck!!

2 comments:

wen said...

Hi Johnny,

Congratulations on your first run! I started running since 2005 but it was an on-off thing for me. Now, as much as I can, I try to participate in road races but I do not run or do practice runs regularly. It's something I'm hoping to do someday if work permits. =) My motivation is the same as yours, to be fit and stay fit.

I know Dennis. I heard that he handles the ABS-CBN account. =) Well, I hope to meet you as well. If you want to know upcoming races, this is a good site to visit. http://thebullrunner.com/list-of-races-2008/

I hope you achieve your goals.

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Wen,

Thanks for the kind words. Buti ka pa -- even without practices you're doing quite well in your runs. Even with my workouts -- I try to do it 3 times a week -- hirap pa rin!! Iba na talaga yun tumatanda.

Thanks for the link to the race schedules. I'll catch you one of these days in one of the races.

May you have great runs in all your races!!